Old 02-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Jane Ransom

Default I may have murdered my lawn..

In article , homer
writes

Just a workaday lawn would do me fine (is there a workanight lawn too?!)
I think I'll stick with the weed/feed/mosskill approach, but this time I
will stick to the recommended dosage!
There must be something constructive moss can be used for?

my lawn is pretty bumpy in places, is there an easy fix (for a novice) for
this?

Depends up how bumpy!
We tend to build up the hollows with a mixture of soil and sharp sand.
The grass soon grows into it and then you can add a bit more and so on
until you are level-ish.
The bumps you can level by slicing off a/some grass sod/s, digging out
the bump, levelling the bare area with soil and sharp sand and replacing
the grass sod/s, making sure you water them in well.

otherwise, yes I will learn to live with it along with the moss, the
stripes, the shade......

Like 99% of us )

the neighbours caught my brushing out the excess feed from the lawn this
evening. The sight of someone brushing their lawn with a broom! And I've
only just moved here....

We often brush ours - especially after a weeding session when all sorts
of junk gets on to the grass. Doesn't do it any harm at all and it is
your neighbours who are the losers!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes:
| (Nick Maclaren) wrote in news:c4hum6$sgq$1
| @pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk:
|
| I positively LIKE scarlet
| pimpernel, vetches, eyebright, daisies etc.
|
| You have eyebright in your lawn?
|
| **envy, envy, envy***
|
| Did it just come or did you do something to get it there?

It was there when we arrived. I shall have to check if it is
still there, because the weather has been very different for the
past few years, and the flora of my garden is changing as a result.

Interesting you should say that. Round here it has been much wetter. We
built a memorial bridge over a tiny trickle of a stream, feeling rather
silly about is as we did, but now the stream is quite sizeable even in
summer, and elsewhere on site there are streams and ponds where
previously there were none. Main effect on flora is an abundance of
celandines.

As I understand it, with most such plants it is all down to luck.
They are common weeds in some soils and some locations, and
impossible to grow in others.

I've never seen scarlet pimpernel in a lawn, only on bare soil.
Eyebright is presumably a result of your lighter and drier soil? Lawn
weeds hereabouts are daisies, dandelions, and field speedwell, but with
a bit of encouragement we are now getting geraniums and primroses.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 02-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton writes:

| It was there when we arrived. I shall have to check if it is
| still there, because the weather has been very different for the
| past few years, and the flora of my garden is changing as a result.
|
| Interesting you should say that. Round here it has been much wetter. We
| built a memorial bridge over a tiny trickle of a stream, feeling rather
| silly about is as we did, but now the stream is quite sizeable even in
| summer, and elsewhere on site there are streams and ponds where
| previously there were none. Main effect on flora is an abundance of
| celandines.

Yes. Much the same here. This winter hasn't been too bad, but the
previous few were sodden, and we haven't had a dry summer in ages.

The effect with me is that there has been a significant invasion
of drought-sensitive plants. Previously, anything that couldn't
take the top 6-12" of soil being waterless in the summer simply
died out. But it is more a change of balance than a replacement.
Moss has turned into a serious weed (i.e. smothering plants) in
some places!

| I've never seen scarlet pimpernel in a lawn, only on bare soil.
| Eyebright is presumably a result of your lighter and drier soil? Lawn
| weeds hereabouts are daisies, dandelions, and field speedwell, but with
| a bit of encouragement we are now getting geraniums and primroses.

Now I think about it, it is a long time since I have noticed the
eyebright. I must check this summer.

Scarlet pimpernel is less common than it was, dandelions are a
minor weed, daisies, yarrow, field bindweed and plaintains are
ubiquitous, speedwell is common. There used to be a lot of white
and some red clover, but it has mostly gone - deliberately, as
my wife is allergic to bee stings. There is still some yellow
vetchling. The increase in moss and vigour of the grass in
summer is the reason for the reductions, I think.

In all cases, I might have misidentified. The eyebright was one
of my less certain identifications, but I think that I was right.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

Old 02-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In all cases, I might have misidentified. The eyebright was one
of my less certain identifications, but I think that I was right.

Eyebright is quite common where you find it. It's all over the place in
the Yorkshire Dales. Little pale violet thing with yellow in the centre.
Main identification problem is that there's about 20 different species!
- though looking at the distribution maps in Blamey, Fitter and Fitter,
you and I only get Euphrasia nemorosa.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 06-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Victoria Clare

Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In all cases, I might have misidentified. The eyebright was one
of my less certain identifications, but I think that I was right.

Eyebright is quite common where you find it. It's all over the place in
the Yorkshire Dales. Little pale violet thing with yellow in the centre.
Main identification problem is that there's about 20 different species!
- though looking at the distribution maps in Blamey, Fitter and Fitter,
you and I only get Euphrasia nemorosa.

I've only ever seen it growing in the slack between dunes at Saunton Sands
- which sounds like it is similarly sandy and dry, and is kept grassfree by
the ministrations of sheep and rabbits rather than lawnmowers.

One of my favoritest flowers (if not exactly one you can put in a vase!).
I would love to grow it, but it's far too damp and shady here.

Victoria
Old 06-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Victoria Clare

Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Old 06-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Victoria Clare

Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Old 06-04-2004, 09:41 PM
homer

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
homer wrote:

Just a workaday lawn would do me fine (is there a workanight lawn too?!)
I think I'll stick with the weed/feed/mosskill approach, but this time I
will stick to the recommended dosage!
There must be something constructive moss can be used for?

Hell, NO!!!

Learn to love your moss. Look, what are the characteristics of a good
lawn plant? It is naturally low-growing (little mowing), drought
resistant, waterlogging resistant, frost resistant, soft underfoot
and has attractive flowers. Well, moss misses out on the last :-)
But daisies don't ....

I use my moss for lining pots, making up compost for carnivorous
plants, and so on. Very useful.

interesting......
can i use the garden moss to line my hanging baskets?
and yes I shall learn to love my moss too!

Old 10-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
homer wrote:

I use my moss for lining pots, making up compost for carnivorous
plants, and so on. Very useful.

interesting......
can i use the garden moss to line my hanging baskets?
and yes I shall learn to love my moss too!

Why not? Most lawn moss is kept fairly short, but the stuff that
invades sunless places grows taller. In any case, the problem with
using short moss is merely that it is less convenient. The most
common mosses in gardens are much the same as those that are used
to line hanging baskets commercially.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.