Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Cumberpach

Default Coal Ash help please.

I remember an earlier thread which indicated Wood ash was ok for soil,
although there is a tendancy towards alcalinity.
My adj allotmenteer has started to put soft-coal ash from his open fire on
the soil. Is this ok please ?

Pete

Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Emrys Davies

Yes. That is ideal providing that it is spread around.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Cumberpach

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Yes. That is ideal providing that it is spread around.

Thanks for the gen Emrys.

Pete

Old 06-04-2004, 10:36 PM
david taylor

Many sources of coal ash are toxic to plants, I would not use it. The old
NCB did a lot of work identifying the toxic trace elements in some coal
ashes and on the selection breeding of strains of resitant plants to
colonise old pit heaps. Boron and I think copper at the 10s of ppm level
were the principal offenders. I occasionally pass the pit heap at Cefn Mawr
just south of Wrexham and it still has only a few isolated plants growing on
it after at least 30 years.
I don't know what particular benefit a non toxic source of coal ash would
bring.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Cumberpach

"david taylor" wrote in message
[...]

Since posting this article, I tested the soil and found it to be on the
alkaline side of neutral. As wood ash makes the soil more alkaline my
neighbour has agreed not to add wood or coal ash.
My father was from the Rhondda and I note that the Forrestry Commission has
made some progress with the Tips (post Aberfan). I suppose a lot depends on
the soil content. They would also use coal-fired steam engines for the lifts
and I suppose the ash would end up on the tips.

Pete

Coal Ash Tim W United Kingdom 5 22-03-2008 10:40 AM
Which came first, the Green Ash or the White Ash species Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 21 26-10-2004 04:48 AM
grafting white-ash onto green-ash Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 4 28-06-2004 07:38 AM
telling apart green ash from white ash Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 6 04-05-2004 10:07 PM
Coal Ash? Wrench Edible Gardening 9 02-02-2004 07:43 PM