Old 06-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Mary Fisher

Default water fountains

"David Hill" wrote in message
news:c4olpo$u44

Any chance of sending the sparrowhawks up to me?
My neighbour started with 3 pairs of Fantails about 10 yrs ago,(thought he
would breed them and make money), but they were quickly caught by stray
pigeons who moved in .result loads of offspring of no value to
anyone.....our local peregrine does a little to keep them down but there

are
anything up to 50 flying around every day.......result ....I don't have a
hope in hell of growing anything even resembling a cabbage.
The only thing to survive them has been Koal rabi.

Sparrowhawks are very beautiful, we rarely see one in our inner city garden
but they excite us and give us pleasure when we do catch sight of one. I'll
never forget my first experience, I rushed for the Collins and couldn't
believe what was on that stump. But I took a picture to confirm it. Oh joy!

Pigeons are a nuisance but they - or rather the coloured descendants of rock
doves - are very beautiful too, as are wood pigeons, And they all eat well
:-) We get a surprising number of wood pigeons. Collar doves are the second
most common visitors to our garden, they nest in one of our big trees along
with lots of smaller birds. We protect our brassica from our hens'
attention with steel framed chicken wire hurdles round the outside of the
plots and have been pleased that they prevent pigeon ingress too. It's not a
practical method for you, though ...

Mary

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-04-2004, 09:45 PM
David Hill

".......Pigeons are a nuisance but they - or rather the coloured descendants
of rock doves - are very beautiful too, as are wood pigeons, And they all
eat well ......."

I think my neighbour would associate the sound of a shotgun about 100 yds
away with the dwindling numbers of his birds.
I have thought of it many times as I love Pigeon pie.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Mary Fisher

"David Hill" wrote in message
".......Pigeons are a nuisance but they - or rather the coloured

descendants
of rock doves - are very beautiful too, as are wood pigeons, And they all
eat well ......."

I think my neighbour would associate the sound of a shotgun about 100 yds
away with the dwindling numbers of his birds.
I have thought of it many times as I love Pigeon pie.

We're having braised pigeon for dinner this evening. I've saved a good Haut
Medoc to accompany it.

Mary

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Sue da Nimm

"David Hill" wrote in message
Sacha wrote "...Ugh. Sparrowhawks. We have those here, too and in fact
had to give up keeping white doves because they were turning into a buffet
for sparrowhawks ...."

The only thing to survive them has been Koal rabi.

Is that the well known marsupial religious dignitary Koala Rabbi?

Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

".......Pigeons are a nuisance but they - or rather the coloured descendants
of rock doves - are very beautiful too, as are wood pigeons, And they all
eat well ......."

I think my neighbour would associate the sound of a shotgun about 100 yds
away with the dwindling numbers of his birds.
I have thought of it many times as I love Pigeon pie.

Wanna know how to do it quietly and humanely? When I was an anklebiter,
one of my favourite friends was a Romany my own age. He taught me quite
a lot about food-gathering.

I am having mackerel (bought) tonight, with spuds, and lightly-cooked
young shoots of hogweed as a main vegetable. While he didn't have any
input into the fishy bit, he taught me how to gather a lot of edible
wild things, including pigeons, rabbits, &c.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 06-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Brian Watson

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

I think my neighbour would associate the sound of a shotgun about 100

yds
away with the dwindling numbers of his birds.
I have thought of it many times as I love Pigeon pie.

Wanna know how to do it quietly and humanely? When I was an anklebiter,
one of my favourite friends was a Romany my own age. He taught me quite
a lot about food-gathering.

Romany chal?

Just think, he'd now be hounded out of town as, at best, a thief and a fly
tipper or, at worst, a probable illegal immigrant (too).

:-/

Funny old world.

--
Brian
"Happy St George's Day. It either is, just was, or soon will be."