Old 06-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Bob

Default Buying compost

I need quite a lot of soil/compost to fill my raised beds, locally I can
only seem to find 30 litre bags at sill prices. Does anybody know a bull
supplier of somebody who sells bags by the hundred at reasonable rates.

Bob

Old 06-04-2004, 09:44 PM
David Hill

If you are looking for topsoil you should find a supplier listed in yellow
pages. Normally delivered loose, if it is bagged then it will cost an arm
and a leg.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Sue da Nimm

You should be able to get good quality screened topsoil with added compost
in bulk from local horticultural suppliers.
When we bought ours it ranged from £15 per tonne for small amounts down to
£80 for a full 10 tonne load. Needless to say we bought the full ten tonnes
and shared with a neighbour.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 PM
John Rouse

In article , Bob
writes
I need quite a lot of soil/compost to fill my raised beds, locally I can
only seem to find 30 litre bags at sill prices. Does anybody know a bull
supplier of somebody who sells bags by the hundred at reasonable rates.

It cost us £140 for ten tons of topsoil, including delivery. Its from a
place that grows turf, so its sandy/loamy, quite unlike our local clay.

John
--
John Rouse

Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:31:37 +0100, "Bob" wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
I need quite a lot of soil/compost to fill my raised beds, locally I can
only seem to find 30 litre bags at sill prices. Does anybody know a bull
supplier of somebody who sells bags by the hundred at reasonable rates.

I'm wondering if you are like me and have to buy the stuff by the bags
on account of having no way of getting it to the garden otherwise.

I have a small bed I'm developing and everything has to come through
the house, so getting 10 tonne dumped in the driveway isn't really
appropriate.

I've found 120l bags of multipurpose compost (probably not the best
quality, but passable, at two for 8-10 quid reasonably commonly
available at B&Q, Homebase etc. Probably cheaper elsewhere, but its
handy and I can drag himself there on a Sunday.

I probably need about four of them by my reckoning. I'll need more
next summer but for the quantity you get 10 quid seems reasonable.
Sure goes a long way anyhow.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com