Old 18-11-2009, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default buying compost

People seem to know the cheapest/best place to get compost on here!
I need about 10 bags or more to pot up stuff generally, especially
cuttings that have now rooted or need moving on.
Where's the best place to get it from? i wasn't too impressed by the
quality of a local Wyevales compost, very coarse and not that good for
the plants by the way they grew.

Janet

I once bought a lump of pressed coir or I may have received it as a
freebie with other purchases, anyway although it was only coir it
produced the most amazing root systems and growth on potted up plants
and I wonder if I added long term fertiliser to it whether that might be
an option? Several gardeners I know order from individual suppliers who
seem to travel up from the south coast with lorries and deliver say 20
bags at a time. This compost seems heavier, more like pure John innes
but I am never sure I can trust the quality .

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-11-2009, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
news
[...]

Slightly O/T investigate your local tip! Mine takes all the garden waste
and composts it. Most gets sold in bulk but if I tip(!) up with my car and
bags they weigh the car as I go in. I then fill the bags from an enormous,
steaming, heap return to the weighbridge where they calculate the difference
and charge me accordingly. I usually come away with a Peugeot 306 estate
with 4 very large tip bags in the back for about £9 and I'd expect to pay
more than double for the same weight/volume from my local garden centre.
If I had a trailer they have a digger and will fill it for me but I don't so
I have to shovel.

It makes a remarkably good growing medium. I filled one raised bed with it
as an experiment and things are growing nicely. In other raised beds I've
been mixing it with the earth (which has a tendency to dry out) and it's
working a treat.

Old 19-11-2009, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

[...]

But does it leave a smell int car

...............................Leslie

Old 19-11-2009, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Therefore" wrote in message
. ..

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Actually, no. Mind you the dump is only 5 minutes away. Now, if it was
manure that might be different.

Old 20-11-2009, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Graham Harrison
writes
Slightly O/T investigate your local tip!

Not a chance!! I know what goes into the compost as i put it there
Ground elder, horsetail, etc etc. Weeds that never die!! And what about
pathogens?

Old 20-11-2009, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Graham Harrison
writes
Slightly O/T investigate your local tip!

Not a chance!! I know what goes into the compost as i put it there
Ground elder, horsetail, etc etc. Weeds that never die!! And what about
pathogens?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

You beat me to it Janet. You can get compost that is certified as fit for
use but it seems many Councils are not prepared to implement the processes
required to get certification. The compost produced locally by our Council
is partly used in local parks and gardens where at least any potential
outbreak of the dreaded lurgy could be controlled unlike spreading the stuff
amongst several thousand households.
I think I've mentioned it before but the green bags of waste around here
contain garden waste which includes cans, crisp packets, nappies, dog and
cat poo, plant pots etc.--in fact they contain anything that might be found
in a Garden.

Old 20-11-2009, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-20 09:11:10 +0000, "rupert" said:

[...]

We've been finding out about compost needed on a large scale (about 10
tons) in Jersey. Apparently the local States arrange for all the
plants used in parks and bedding schemes to be composted in one
particular place and you can go there and buy it on a decreasing scale,
depending on the quantity required. It's £32.00 for 1000 litres and
£24 for 10,000 or more plus 3% sales tax. I don't know what the
quality is like and if it's suitable for potting on but as a soil
improver, that's pretty cheap.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Registered User

I bought a few loads from a compost farm who converts green waste from East Herts tips. But now East Herts are collecting compostable waste from the house and are telling householders to include ALL FOOD WASTE with the green material...YES EVEN MEAT WASTE!!!.

I will not be buying such compost again!

Slightly O/T investigate your local tip! Mine takes all the garden waste
and composts it. Most gets sold in bulk but if I tip(!) up with my car and
bags they weigh the car as I go in. I then fill the bags from an enormous,
steaming, heap return to the weighbridge where they calculate the difference
and charge me accordingly. I usually come away with a Peugeot 306 estate
with 4 very large tip bags in the back for about £9 and I'd expect to pay
more than double for the same weight/volume from my local garden centre.
If I had a trailer they have a digger and will fill it for me but I don't so
I have to shovel.

It makes a remarkably good growing medium. I filled one raised bed with it
as an experiment and things are growing nicely. In other raised beds I've
been mixing it with the earth (which has a tendency to dry out) and it's
working a treat.[/quote]
__________________
Gardening in East Herts
Old 20-11-2009, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

rupert writes
I think I've mentioned it before but the green bags of waste around
here contain garden waste which includes cans, crisp packets, nappies,
dog and cat poo, plant pots etc.--in fact they contain anything that
might be found in a Garden.

I saw a man tipping empty plastic plant pots into the 'garden waste'
skip at the local 'recycling centre', so I questioned him. "It's from
the garden" he said. But he went off and found one of the assistants,
and came back and thanked me for setting him right.

So even the most inappropriate stuff can be put in there with good
intentions.
--
Kay
Old 21-11-2009, 02:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
We've been finding out about compost needed on a large scale (about 10
tons) in Jersey. Apparently the local States arrange for all the
plants used in parks and bedding schemes to be composted in one
particular place and you can go there and buy it on a decreasing scale,

Hmm well i have walking on Saturday and on Sunday and Ceroc in the
evening so not sure I might have time to nip over to Jersey for my
requirements this weekend but thank you Sacha

Old 21-11-2009, 03:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

I saw a man tipping empty plastic plant pots into the 'garden waste'
skip at the local 'recycling centre', so I questioned him. "It's from
the garden" he said. But he went off and found one of the assistants,
and came back and thanked me for setting him right.

So even the most inappropriate stuff can be put in there with good
intentions.

Shredded plastic post I wouldn't mind but some of the worst weeds and
diseases I would!!
Old 21-11-2009, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-21 02:59:56 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha
writes
We've been finding out about compost needed on a large scale (about 10
tons) in Jersey. Apparently the local States arrange for all the
plants used in parks and bedding schemes to be composted in one
particular place and you can go there and buy it on a decreasing scale,

Hmm well i have walking on Saturday and on Sunday and Ceroc in the
evening so not sure I might have time to nip over to Jersey for my
requirements this weekend but thank you Sacha

LOL! I was thinking of it more as a price comparison thingy, though I
could always bring you back a bag next month. ;-)

--
Sacha