Old 13-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Jonny

Default Too late for potatoes

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:43:47 -0000, Mark
wrote:

Hi

Yet another question!

I'm considering planting some potatoes in a container of some kind (oil
drum? large plastic bin?) in my garden. I've never grown potatoes
before, so it's all a mystery to me.

From what I've read, it looks like I need to 'chit' some 'tubers' (are
these seed potatoes?) by putting them in egg boxes or whatever, then
plant them out and wait (soiling up when necessary).

I see that thompson-morgan.com sell tubers for a few quid, but I presume
these need chitting which is going to take some time. Everything I've
read suggests that the potatoes need planting about now, so do I have
time to chit and plant this year?

I don't have room to grow lots of potatoes, but just a few would be
nice. I'd really like some small, waxy potatoes (I've heard that Ratte
and Wilja are good) for salads. I'm not too bothered about bigger spuds.

Thanks!

Mark

Hi Mark, As it was many days ago I hope you still see this.
I'd agree with most of the advice you got about not bothering to chit
etc. I have a farm, and whilst I don't grow potatoes myself (other
than in the garden), I do let fields to growers. The years following
are problematic in that there is always a large number of volunteer
potatoes in the next crop. They seem to be able to survive under
ground all winter and even shake off weedkiller applied to the
barley/wheat etc. At least many of them do.
The point is that you can use them and abuse them and you will still
get a crop.
As I write this on 13 April the field I have let this year has not
been touched. Things have warmed up this last few days, but they have
been unseasonably cold (SE Scotland). I believe there is no point in
planting potatoes until the soil temp has reached 5 deg C. i.e plant
it earlier and it just sits until things warm up.
Enough of the lesson, but I hope you've read this far as my last piece
of advice is the best. You only want a few potatoes to use as seed?
Well go down to your local greengrocer (or supermarket if you must)
and buy 1 or 2 or 3 or whatever you need. Try different varieties.
They are just the same spuds after all:-)
Good luck
Jonny
Old 14-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Jonny contains these words:

Enough of the lesson, but I hope you've read this far as my last piece
of advice is the best. You only want a few potatoes to use as seed?
Well go down to your local greengrocer (or supermarket if you must)
and buy 1 or 2 or 3 or whatever you need. Try different varieties.
They are just the same spuds after all:-)

They might be the same varieties, but there are other important differences.
Seed potatoes are certified disease-free.
Some grocer-potatoes have been treated to inhibit sprouting, which is
the exact oposite of what you need for growing spuds.

I agree it's not too late for planting though; I only put mine in last
Friday. Last year's left-over crop in the garden are only just starting
into growth.

Janet (Isle of Arran).

Old 15-04-2004, 09:04 AM
BridgeP

In article , Jonny

Subject: Too late for potatoes
From: Jonny
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:40:56 +0100

wrote:

Hi

Yet another question!

I'm considering planting some potatoes in a container of some kind (oil
drum? large plastic bin?) in my garden. I've never grown potatoes
before, so it's all a mystery to me.

From what I've read, it looks like I need to 'chit' some 'tubers' (are
[...]

In our garden we always grow spuds. However carefully we lift the crop we must
leave some, or parts of some. They are always the first to shoot and crop.

Peter Bridge
Old 26-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Alan Holmes

.org...
On 2004-04-06, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , "Neil Jones"

writes:
"Mark" wrote in message

.org...
I see that thompson-morgan.com sell tubers for a few quid, but I
presume these need chitting which is going to take some time.
Everything I've read suggests that the potatoes need planting
about now, so do I have time to chit and plant this year?

I've been a bit slow getting my spuds chitted but I think they'll be
OK.

Ignore anything that says that. It is total bullshit. My soil only
warmed up enough to plant broad beans a couple of weeks back, and I
shan't be planting potatoes for a while yet. They are sitting there
chitting slowly to themselves.

Yes, you have time. Even for (latish) first earlies.

Excellent. I'll get some chitting ASAP, but does anyone know anywhere in
Hampshire that I could beg or steal (not sure you can borrow a potato)
some pre-chitted tubers?

It may be too late, and too far away, but the Tenaker Farm Shop in
Chobham, Surrey, sells them by the one!

And the price is very reasonable, I've been going there for quite a
few ears now, I usually buy three different types, first early, second
early and maincrop, just six of each, this year I went mad and bought
eight of each, put each variety in a seperate bag, then the whole lot
in one bag, they sell by the kilo.

If you can get there, and its not too late you could ring them on
01276 858637 to see if they have any left, as they still seem to be on
sale in the garden centres its not too late to plant, in fact I still have
plant the second earlies and the maincrop!

Alan

Old 27-05-2004, 02:26 PM
martin

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:21:02 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

It may be too late, and too far away, but the Tenaker Farm Shop in
Chobham, Surrey, sells them by the one!

And the price is very reasonable, I've been going there for quite a
few ears now,

they sell corn too? :-)

Old 28-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Douglas

wrote:

It may be too late, and too far away, but the Tenaker Farm Shop in
Chobham, Surrey, sells them by the one!

And the price is very reasonable, I've been going there for quite a
few ears now,

they sell corn too? :-)

************************
No, he's talkin about potatOs. ( potato,-potatos.. tomato,- tomatoes.)
He hasn't had the superior education accorded to me in my youth, -
(Borstal).
BTW, my experiments for some years with various First Early spuds, first
planted in unheated greenhouse, late Feb. ; and later on the patio to
maturity, have convinced me that the nicest first-early spud is Pentland
Javelin by far, with Rocket the only other one worth trying.
I use black buckets, (holes drilled in the bottoms), and the Doug Taty-Mix
Marque Five method,which is very roughly:- 2 parts soil, 1 part peat, 1 part
composted leaves plus 1 part junk from the compost bin and a smattering of
coarse sand. Careful with the sand, its lightening-up capabilities is
dramatic.
All are mixed inside my trusty cement mixer, bless it, - it takes all the
rough stuff I have loaded, and bingo!. (Pass that can of lager, matey)!. If
left for a while, out pours friable easy-to-handle compost.
In the greenhouse the bucket has four inches of compost put into the bottom.
A chitted taty is shoved fully into it, proper way up. It is watered. As
the leaves develop, compost is fed round the sides of the plant so that only
a few leaves protrude. The weather governs whether the soil reaches the top
of the bucket in the greenhouse or on the patio. On the patio nearly
always wins now that we have warmer weather.
Harvest when the flowers are just starting to limp. Most of the tubers
should be nice and plump and you should be able to wipe off the skin with
the ball of the thumb.
make sure you get proper Pentland Javelins. I have twice had crops that
bore no relation to the real Javelin taty.
You can use soil from your garden but remember it is full of weed seeds.
Buying sifted heat-treated soil is expensive, but who cares?, - use what
you can get, you can easily pull chickweed out of the top of a bucket.
Doug.
***********************

Old 28-05-2004, 08:11 PM
David Rance

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Douglas wrote:

No, he's talkin about potatOs. ( potato,-potatos.. tomato,- tomatoes.)
He hasn't had the superior education accorded to me in my youth, -
(Borstal).

According to the Oxford English Dictionary: potatOES

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 28-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Alan Gould

In article , David Rance david.ran
writes

According to the Oxford English Dictionary: potatOES

and according to Chambers English Dictionary
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Douglas
writes
I'll concede the potato - potatoes.
Toodle -pip!

But Doug, don't you know that spuds don't have pips?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM
Is it too late for Potatoes Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt United Kingdom 5 10-07-2003 11:08 AM