Old 07-04-2004, 05:04 PM
jane

Default 120° symmetry

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 13:08:21 +0100, Edwin Spector
wrote:

~By an amazing coincidence, I have a sunflower seedling about the same size,
~which has done the same thing. The other five are normal. It's fascinating to
~watch it grow. A colleague tells me that this behaviour is sought after in
~fuschias, because they give prettier (fuller) leaf cover.
~
hmmm interesting... I have several fuchsias with this. Havent' seen it
in much else, though.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 07-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Kay Easton

In article m, Tim
Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"@?.? writes
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 02:16:08 +0100, Steve wrote:

It is tricotyledonous, most flowering plants are bicotyledons and grasses
are monocotyledons. It will probably have a thickened stem and you may get
some odd shaped flowers.

A slight correction, the word is dicot... not bicot...

And it is a taxonomical grouping, not just a description of growth
habit. In otherwords, if a species is a dicotyledon (as the sunflower
is), then it is still a dicotyledon even if the odd aberrant individual
has an extra cotyledon
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 07-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Steve

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 02:16:08 +0100, Steve wrote:

It is tricotyledonous, most flowering plants are bicotyledons and

grasses
are monocotyledons. It will probably have a thickened stem and you may

get
some odd shaped flowers.

A slight correction, the word is dicot... not bicot...

Ta. I knew someting was wrong as I wrote it, I wasn't even sure of the
spelling of cotyledon, it's been awhile since I have had occasion to use the
word!

Old 07-04-2004, 09:06 PM
ned

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message

"Guy King" wrote in message
I've got these sunflower seedlings - most of which like the one

in the
bottom of the picture have two cotyledons and paired leaves.

It is tricotyledonous, most flowering plants are bicotyledons and

grasses
are monocotyledons. It will probably have a thickened stem and you

may get
some odd shaped flowers.

I've got this on two of my Shirley tomato seedlings - I'm going to

be
interested to see how it affects fruiting.

I understand that the fruits are much sought after by young males
approaching puberty.

--
ned

120° symmetry Tim Challenger United Kingdom 0 07-04-2004 02:10 PM
120° symmetry Edwin Spector United Kingdom 0 07-04-2004 02:06 PM
120° symmetry Sue da Nimm United Kingdom 0 07-04-2004 08:03 AM
120° symmetry Steve United Kingdom 0 07-04-2004 02:35 AM
120° symmetry Guy King United Kingdom 0 06-04-2004 10:04 PM