Old 09-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Paul Gerrish

Default Anybody tried the Mountfield 2200 Shredder from B and Q?

This is described as crushing and new model. At £169 looks good value
-anybody any experince, good or bad?

thanks

Paul
Old 26-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Yorkshire

Quote:
[i]
Decent power [/b]
Could you clarify this - is it related to thickness of material or speed of shredding or something else?
Old 27-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Franz Heymann

"Philip" wrote in message
m...

[snip]

While I have not used this specific make or model I hace used a
'crushing' type of shredder before.

What does a "crushing" shredder do, and what does a shredder which is
not a crushing shredder do?

Franz

Old 27-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Paul Gerrish" wrote in message
This is described as crushing and new model. At £169 looks good value
-anybody any experince, good or bad?

We got one, but I cannot get it to cut small. Calling the helpline is on my
list of things to do. I changed the cutting setting (as per instructions)
but got nervous at setting it too tight.

Old 27-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Phil Day

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Philip" wrote in message
m...

[snip]

While I have not used this specific make or model I hace used a
'crushing' type of shredder before.

What does a "crushing" shredder do, and what does a shredder which is
not a crushing shredder do?

Franz

Franz

I have seen three types if shredder.

What I would call Rotary.
Material feeds into a pair of blades, the material and blades being
perpendicular to each other.

Screw
Seems to be favoured by Bosch. Material feeds into the threads of a large
screw somewhat reminiscent of a Leonardo Da Vinci invention.

Crushing
see here --
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...0_171_175&prod
ucts_id=1764
The key to this type is oval rotating drum. The drum has blades positioned
to cut the material and the oval squeezes or crushes the materal before it
is left to drop out into the collecting tray. The crushing effect is better
for thicker woody items.

While the rotary types whizz away with the blades a-blur, the crush types
just chunk, chunk, chunk away. The result being much less noise and an
ability to deal with bigger stuff.

I chunked up an old broom handle, but I would not try that with a rotary
shredder.

Hope that helps

Old 27-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Phil Day

s.com...

--
Leaf

Hello Leaf

This model would appear to be 2200 watts, just a guess mind you but I bet
that's what the 2200 in its name refers to.

Plenty of power I would have thought, the Bosch do a 2000 watt one, which I
would have thought was borderline in the power stakes. I certainly would
not go lower that 2000 watts

Old 28-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Philip" wrote in message
[...]