Old 12-04-2004, 09:33 PM
AMacmil304

Default The Woodland Trust National Questionnaire 2004

The Woodland Trust National Questionnaire 2004

An Open Response to Mike Townsend, CEO of the Woodland Trust

Dear Mr Townsend

Thank you for sending a copy of your questionnaire to my address and giving me
the opportunity to respond.

You ask in your questionnaire "What do you think?"

Before answering your questions, you should realise that sending out
unsolicited junk mail has a detrimental impact on the natural environment by
its production, distribution and disposal and should not be carried out by
those who claim conservation values. It makes a complete mockery of your high
profile Christmas Card collection and conservation campaign, when you spread
your own rubbish throughout the country. It seems you consider it more
important to solicit for money than to conserve the planet's natural resources
for the future.

Here are the questions you pose and my responses:

Q1. Did you know that only 12% of the UK is woodland compared to an average of
36% across the European Union?

A1. Yes but wrong to compare the UK with less densely populated and larger
areas, which can lead to misleading comparisons. With such a high population
density and low percentage of woodlands in the UK it should be essential that
woodlands are protected from human intrusion and not exploited by the Woodland
Trust for the recreational use of millions of the planet's most damaging
mammal.

Q2. Almost 50% of what little remained of the UK's ancient woodland in 1930 has
been damaged or destroyed, mainly through conversion to conifer plantation and
clearance for agriculture and development. Is this more or less than you
imagined?

A2. How many of your 1000+ woodlands are really "ancient"? Certainly not the
ones you plant with comparatively useless native hardwood saplings rather than
with fast growing useable and sustainable timber that could offset the
environmentally damaging effect of importing most of our softwood timber
supplies.

Q3. Did you know that 85% of the ancient woodland which remains has no
protective designation?

A3. These woodlands should be protected by law and not exploited.

Q4. The Woodland Trust is keen to receive news of any ancient woods under
threat from development. Had you previously ever heard of the Woodland Trust?

A4. I would consider the ancient woodland environment under threat from the
Woodland Trust's policies and I have heard of the Woodland Trust.

Q5. Did you know that ancient woodland is home to more threatened species (over
230) than any other habitat in the UK, including once common species such as
the dormouse and the bullfinch?

A5. All the more reason the Woodland Trust should not exploit this habitat for
the recreational purposes for the planet's most damaging mammal - man

Q6. How often do you visit woodland for walks or recreation?

A6. Walking and recreation in woodlands disturbs wildlife and can have a
detrimental effect on wildlife including the survival of rare species What
wildlife do you know approaches man? Most flee!

Q7. Did you know that the Woodland Trust creates more native woods than any
other conservation organisation and has planted 3 million trees in the last six
years?

A7. But is the Woodland Trust a "conservation organisation"? With climate
change, the word "conservation" should now be restricted exclusively to those
who can prove beyond doubt that they are conserving the natural resources of
the planet - not abused by those who trade off their own pocket sized
conservation against other greater environmentally damaging activities. That's
fake conservation!
How many of your 3 million trees will survive considering natural wastage and
thinning? Should it be 750k, that's the equivalent of fewer than three trees
per week per woodland within your ownership over the six years - mainly paid
for by government grants that could be diverted towards real and pressing
conservation needs.
And don't get carried away! It's not grown trees you plant, its tiny saplings
that can be bought for a few pence each. The buying cost of quarter of a
million saplings is probably around the same as your annual salary.

Q8. Which of the following do you rate as the most important benefits of native
woodland? Good for wildlife; Landscape value; Absorbs greenhouse gases and
makes air healthier; Jobs in rural areas; Renewable sources of materials; Quiet
places for people to enjoy nature.

A8. Mixed woodlands with little or no human intrusion are better for wildlife
and fast growing conifers are better carbon fixers and a more sustainable
timber source than native hardwood. The remaining three in your list are not
conservation issues.

Q9. Do you agree that the Woodland Trust should campaign to raise awareness of
the UK's woodland heritage and to strengthen its protection for future
generations?

A9. No. The less "awareness" the better! It should be left to those who care
for the sanctity of the woodland environment as wildlife havens, not by those
who exploit it for their own agenda.

Q10. Do you know of a Woodland Trust wood in your area?

A10. Yes. One which the Woodland Trust tried to pass off as "conservation" but
which was described by one of your partners as a "dispersive development"
linked to a £60m tourist complex. Following complaints about the possible
contamination of drinking water supplies and a National Audit Office and
Millennium Commission investigation into lottery funding irregularities, the
project was halted.

Q11. The Woodland Trust offers people the opportunity to dedicate recently
planted trees as a unique way to celebrate a special occasion or to commemorate
a life. Do you think you would ever want to dedicate a tree to someone?

A11. Absolutely not! All one is doing is paying a considerable sum of money
for a recently planted unidentified low cost sapling. I consider this approach
to fundraising to be cynically aimed at the naïve and vulnerable and plays on
people's emotions in times of stress.
You ask me what I think? I think it's distasteful - and your funeral deals
even more so.

Q12. Would you ever leave a gift in your will to help the Woodland Trust
protect a wood forever?

A12. No. Because times are changing and in our shrinking world the
exploitation of the woodland environment can no longer be justified.
Recreational use and activities cannot be regarded as conservation. Quite
simply, the Woodland Trust's policies are out of date and were created when
people didn't know any better.

Q13. The Woodland Trust cares for and protects over 1,000 woods throughout the
UK which, almost without exception, are freely open for people to enjoy. Have
you ever visited a Woodland Trust wood?

A13. Yes. One that appears to be used almost exclusively by motorists arriving
to park their cars and exercise their dogs, and where a farmhouse and
surrounding area acquired by the Trust from the Nation for charitable purposes
was sold off for a housing development for £100,000.

Q14. With which of the following do you agree or disagree?
·Ancient woodland should enjoy greater protection in law
·The Common Agricultural Policy should be reformed to support farmers who
protect woods and hedgerows, and plant native trees
·There should be a national programme to involve young people in planting trees

A14.
·Yes, ancient woodland should be protected by law from those who seek to
exploit it.
·The Common Agricultural Policy should be scrapped with farmers encouraged to
produce food for local consumption using methods that are environmentally
sound.
·Individuals, young or old, should be assisted financially in planting trees -
not tied to any strings-attached scheme involving the Woodland Trust to which
the question would seem to imply.

Q15. If you are in sympathy with the aims and work of the Woodland Trust would
you be prepared to help by becoming a member, for a regular subscription of as
little as £2.50 per month?

A15. No! I can think of much better ways of spending my money than contributing
to an organisation that exploits the woodland environment for recreational
purposes of the planet's most damaging mammal, spends its members' money on
sending out environmentally damaging junk mail, and kills wildlife it deems
inappropriate by origin or abundance. (see: www.roots-of-blood.org.uk )

Finally, I challenge you to provide an "Environmental Impact Assessment" to
show that the Woodland Trust can justify its existence by its activities, and
the activities it encourages in others, in terms of reducing damaging pollution
that contributes to global warming.

So is the Woodland Trust a conservation organisation or a fake?

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to say what I think.

Yours sincerely

A Macmillan
April 2004
Old 13-04-2004, 05:38 AM
Franz Heymann

"AMacmil304" wrote in message

[snip]

Wasit really necessary to waste all those internet resources just to
let us know whata little twit you are?

Franz