Old 15-04-2004, 02:33 PM
TheScullster

Default Pruning Question

Last year I planted a mixed informal hedging kind of border around our front
garden alongside a public pavement.
The plants were generally pot grown.
I am eager to keep this compact(ish) on the pavement side, but more
"natural" on our garden side.
The plants are now about 2 feet tall and comprise:
Photinia - red robin
Cotoneaster
Honeysuckle
Viburnum
Escallonia
Eleagnus

My question is, when should I start pruning these to ensure that healthy
growth is maintained towards the base of these?
Which should I "hedge trim" and which to prune with secateurs?
I don't want to end up with spindly tall specimens, as I will be relying on
these for some degree of privacy.
My intention with regard to final height is 4-5 feet, with viburnums allowed
a little higher.

Any other tips on maintenance greatly appreciated from the newbie of all
newbies!

TIA

Phil

Old 15-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , TheScullster pscull@cu
tthespameuropacrown.com writes
Last year I planted a mixed informal hedging kind of border around our front
garden alongside a public pavement.
The plants were generally pot grown.
I am eager to keep this compact(ish) on the pavement side, but more
"natural" on our garden side.
The plants are now about 2 feet tall and comprise:

Photinia - red robin

Cut back new growth once it has lost its colour - new red growth will
appear.

Cotoneaster

Not necessary - just remove unwanted or damaged branches in spring

Honeysuckle

Remove unwanted stems when flowering finished and at the same time
remove some of the older stems.

Viburnum

Not necessary - cut back old or damaged branches after flowering
(deciduous types) or in May (evergreen types)

Escallonia

In autumn, prune back shoots which have flowered.

Eleagnus

Not necessary - cut back unwanted branches in spring

My question is, when should I start pruning these to ensure that healthy
growth is maintained towards the base of these?
Which should I "hedge trim" and which to prune with secateurs?
I don't want to end up with spindly tall specimens, as I will be relying on
these for some degree of privacy.
My intention with regard to final height is 4-5 feet, with viburnums allowed
a little higher.

Any other tips on maintenance greatly appreciated from the newbie of all
newbies!

Buy yourself a book on pruning shrubs - Hessayon (from which the above
answers were obtained) is good if you are a beginner.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 15-04-2004, 05:04 PM
TheScullster

Thanks Jane

Phil

Old 18-04-2004, 06:05 PM
crom

Jane, you couldn't give me the full title for the book, could you? I'd
like to get a pruning book and being a beginner this looks to be a
good recommendation. I searched on Amazon etc and came up with
hundreds of the 'expert' series. Is it one of those?

Cheers,
Crom

Old 18-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , crom
writes
Jane, you couldn't give me the full title for the book, could you? I'd
like to get a pruning book and being a beginner this looks to be a
good recommendation. I searched on Amazon etc and came up with
hundreds of the 'expert' series. Is it one of those?

Yes.
Mine is an old version but I am sure I have seen up to date ones when I
have been moseying around the shops.

The one I have is titled 'The Tree & Shrub Expert'.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.