Old 25-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Cereus-validus

Default columnar cactus - its a goner

By the time you see actual symptoms of rot, the fungal hyphae have already
thoroughly inundated the cortex and there is nothing you can do to save the
plant. Applying anything to the surface of the plant is a waste of time
because the problem is deep within the fleshy tissue of the plant that you
cannot treat.

Throw the plant out before it infects any others. Thoroughly sterilize any
tools you have used on the plant for the same reason.

What is an anti-fungicide? Something that encourages fungal growth?

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 12:22:04 +0100, "richard"
wrote:

My biggest columnar cactus is rotting from the top due I think to

bringing
it indoors last winter to the wrong conditions. It was about 18 inches
tall. I've cut of the top, applied white spirit to clean and rooting
hormone for the anti-fungicide it contains but to my dismay it has

continued
to rot. Till now it has been a very fast grower. Any lifesaving

suggestions
gratefully appreciated.

Once rot sets into a cactus it spreads rapidly through the soft
tissue. It usually takes drastic surgery to save it, if you can save
it at all. IME you have to cut it back to a point where absolutely no
brown discolouration of the flesh is visible, and then a bit. That
probably means cutting it back severely, like in half. Use a clean,
sharp knife sterilised in meths after each cut until you get well
below the rot. And I mean meths, not white spirit, petrol, creosote or
anything else :-). Cheap and easily come by in any hardware shop.
Allow the cut surface to dry unaided in the air.

If you're lucky, and you do save it, it will send up two or three
shoots from around the edge of the cut surface. Thin then out as
required, or even pot up the unwanted ones to grow on as new plants.

--
Chris

HELP - looking for a flowering crabapple Columnar Siberian Ted Mittelstaedt Gardening 4 30-09-2007 12:37 AM
Pruning Columnar roses (Lloyd Center) Sandye Gardening 1 01-11-2005 07:44 AM
columnar cactus richard United Kingdom 5 25-04-2004 12:05 PM
Substitute for Columnar Buckthorn in Zone 4a? Bert Hyman Gardening 0 31-03-2003 10:44 PM
columnar/colennade apple trees nancy Gardening 2 26-02-2003 04:51 AM