Old 25-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Chris Stewart

Default Birds - friend or foe?

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
I have a salad vegetable and herb garden.

I'm wondering if I should:

* Attract birds - so they eat the slugs, snails and other nasties that
prey on my veggies;

...or...

* Repell birds - so they don't eat my seedlings and spread bird shit all
over my produce.

Thanks in advance for any replies - and apologies in advance if this is a

FAQ.
--
__________

Blue tits and the like feed their young on loverly caterpillars - invite
them in, I say.

Chris S

Old 25-04-2004, 11:24 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Tim Tyler writes
I have a salad vegetable and herb garden.

I'm wondering if I should:

* Attract birds - so they eat the slugs, snails and other nasties that
prey on my veggies;

Very few birds eat slugs - about the only garden bird is a starling.
A few more eat snails but they won't make a great impact on numbers.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 25-04-2004, 11:29 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Tim Tyler contains these words:

I have a salad vegetable and herb garden.

I'm wondering if I should:

* Attract birds -

yes

...or...

* Repel birds -

no.

Janet
Old 26-04-2004, 01:06 AM
shannie

"Chris Stewart" wrote in message

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message

I have a salad vegetable and herb garden.

I'm wondering if I should:

* Attract birds - so they eat the slugs, snails and other nasties that
prey on my veggies;

...or...

* Repell birds - so they don't eat my seedlings and spread bird shit all
over my produce.

Thanks in advance for any replies - and apologies in advance if this is

FAQ.
--

Hi Tim,
Despite gardening for years last year was my first time with a veggie plot

Shannie