Old 26-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Ed

Default hedge cutter?

Instead of using the usual secateurs to cut the laurel hedge twice a year,
we're planning to invest in a mechanised hedge cutter. The hedge is at
least 30ft x 6ft high and runs round some of the garden, with pavement on
the other side.

Does anyone have any advice - ie what would be best for the job? I imagine
one without a flex would be better, but I don't really know. Are there some
to definitely avoid or beware of? Are there small ones, large ones, light
ones, heavy ones?

I'd be very glad of some advice on this as I'm a real beginner as regards
hedge cutters. Thanks.

Old 26-04-2004, 05:06 PM
John

In article , "Ed" wrote:

Instead of using the usual secateurs to cut the laurel hedge twice a year,
we're planning to invest in a mechanised hedge cutter. The hedge is at
least 30ft x 6ft high and runs round some of the garden, with pavement on
the other side.

Does anyone have any advice...

I bought a Bosch rechargeable a few months ago at B&Q for about 55 quid
-- in addition to my much older, much more powerful, much heavier Bosch
mains trimmer. I'm very pleased with the rechargeable: it does just what
I'd wanted, which is to fill in on smaller trimming jobs between the
bigger onslaughts. It charges inside an hour, for which you get about
30 minutes trimming: that period is enough for me and my back, and gives
an excuse for a cuppa.

Only reservation I might have is that I don't know how it would handle
the bigger stems of laurel (but on the other hand the box claims it will
deal with up to a cm thick, or some such).

The mobility, and the lightness (and its quiet action) make it a
delightful tool. I would buy one of these before a mains-powered one, if
I had to start all over again.

John
Old 26-04-2004, 09:06 PM
nick gray

"Ed" wrote in message ...
Instead of using the usual secateurs to cut the laurel hedge twice a year,
we're planning to invest in a mechanised hedge cutter. The hedge is at
least 30ft x 6ft high and runs round some of the garden, with pavement on
the other side.

Does anyone have any advice - ie what would be best for the job? I

imagine
one without a flex would be better, but I don't really know. Are there

some
to definitely avoid or beware of? Are there small ones, large ones, light
ones, heavy ones?

I'd be very glad of some advice on this as I'm a real beginner as regards
hedge cutters. Thanks.

Hi Ed,

As laurel has large leaves, you'd be better off sticking with the secateurs.
Pruning with a hedge trimmer whether electric or petrol will damage the
leaves and cause them to brown.

HTH.

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 26-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Harry Ziman

I "pruned" our laurel savagely with a petrol hedge cutter with no ill
effects. I found that the leaves were so large they did not really engage in
the cutters whereas the stems were sliced nicely so the effect was fine.
Holly works the same way.

The secret of hedge cutters is twofold - light weight but not sacrificing
power. Extra weight is a real killer.

Harry

Old 27-04-2004, 12:12 AM
David Hill

Just remember that an electric hedge cutter is a lot lighter than a petrol
one, but you have to take into account having to have a good length of flex.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Ed writes
Instead of using the usual secateurs to cut the laurel hedge twice a year,
we're planning to invest in a mechanised hedge cutter. The hedge is at
least 30ft x 6ft high and runs round some of the garden, with pavement on
the other side.

Does anyone have any advice - ie what would be best for the job? I imagine
one without a flex would be better, but I don't really know. Are there some
to definitely avoid or beware of? Are there small ones, large ones, light
ones, heavy ones?

I'd be very glad of some advice on this as I'm a real beginner as regards
hedge cutters. Thanks.

A hedgecutter will be indiscriminate about where it cuts and many of the
cuts will be straight through the leaves which will develop brown edges.
Think about whether the appearance will be acceptable to you before you
abandon your secateurs.

30 ft?? Gosh. Swap you my 150 foot hawthorn any day!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Martin Brown

In message , David Hill
writes
Just remember that an electric hedge cutter is a lot lighter than a petrol
one, but you have to take into account having to have a good length of flex.

It is also worth taking a careful look at the hedge itself to see what
thickness of woody stem the thing will be expected to cut through.

Mine is a robust mains electric one for about 60' of hedge. Be sure to
have an earth leakage circuit breaker in case of cable cutting
accidents.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 29-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Ed" contains these words:

Instead of using the usual secateurs to cut the laurel hedge twice a year,
we're planning to invest in a mechanised hedge cutter. The hedge is at
least 30ft x 6ft high and runs round some of the garden, with pavement on
the other side.

Does anyone have any advice - ie what would be best for the job? I imagine
one without a flex would be better, but I don't really know. Are there some
to definitely avoid or beware of? Are there small ones, large ones, light
ones, heavy ones?

I'd be very glad of some advice on this as I'm a real beginner as regards
hedge cutters.

I suggest you try hiring one first. Ask the hire shop what they
recommend for that size and type of hedge, and see how you get on with
it. Any kind of mechanised cutter is considerably heavier and more
awkward to use than secateurs.

Janet
Old 02-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Alan

When we bought our petrol hedge cutter we were looking for a "good sturdy"
one. Big mistake. In the shop it felt great, a heavy solid piece of kit, and
with thoughts of "this will last for a lifetime" running through my mind I
got it. It was only years later when I left my one in for repairs and the
workshop gave me a temporary replacement that I discovered my one weighed a
ton.If I was buying now I would go for LIGHTNESS as well as quality.Happy
hedge cutting!
Alan