Old 04-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Steve Black

Default Box hedging advice (again)

Can anyone tell me how far away from the border of my garden to the pavement
should I plant my box?

I want the hedge to be about 3 feet tall but I don't want it to encroach on
to the pavement too much.

At this height how wide should my hedge be to be stable?

Thanks

Old 04-05-2004, 11:05 AM
nick gray

"Steve Black" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how far away from the border of my garden to the

pavement
should I plant my box?

I want the hedge to be about 3 feet tall but I don't want it to encroach

on
to the pavement too much.

At this height how wide should my hedge be to be stable?

Thanks

Hi Steve,

It depends how wide you want the finished hedge. I would suggest 18" to 24"
thick would be the right proportion to the height. So plant 9" to 12" from
the path.

HTH

Cheers
Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 04-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Tue, 4 May 2004 09:21:23 +0100, Steve Black wrote:

Can anyone tell me how far away from the border of my garden to the pavement
should I plant my box?

I want the hedge to be about 3 feet tall but I don't want it to encroach on
to the pavement too much.

At this height how wide should my hedge be to be stable?

I've seen many lowish box hedges about as thick through as they
were tall. This implies that you put your plants about 18" back
from the pavement.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada