Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bloody couch grass!

A large part of my veg area is covered in the stuff, how the hell can I get
rid of it easily?

Alan

Old 05-04-2010, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2010 17:33, alan.holmes wrote:
A large part of my veg area is covered in the stuff, how the hell can I get
rid of it easily?

Glyphosate.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 17:53:30 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

Glyphosate.

Yep. Grasses of all sorts seem to be very susceptible to glyphosate.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2010 18:37, Derek Turner wrote:
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 17:53:30 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

Glyphosate.

Yep. Grasses of all sorts seem to be very susceptible to glyphosate.

Around this time of year when the weeds start to sprout on my veg plot I
go around and spray the lot. There aren't many parts of the garden that
still have veg in - leeks being the main exception at the moment so
there is no fear of killing off the wrong plants due to spray drift etc.
Saves a lot of hassle later on.

The only other veg in there are peas, onion sets and potatoes.
My peas are up now - I'd better get some fleece around them to keep the
pigeons off. Onion sets have settled in - the birds have distributed a
few here and there so I'll need to pop them back in again. Potatoes
aren't up yet - they are still shivering underground. ;-)
Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

A large part of my veg area is covered in the stuff, how the hell can I
get rid of it easily?

Alan

Thanks all, will have to make some effort to kill the damned stuff, the real
trouble is it is all around stuff like rhubarb, which will be difficult to
screen!

Alan

Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2010 20:26, alan.holmes wrote:
wrote in message

A large part of my veg area is covered in the stuff, how the hell can I
get rid of it easily?

Alan

Thanks all, will have to make some effort to kill the damned stuff, the real
trouble is it is all around stuff like rhubarb, which will be difficult to
screen!

Take care! My father killed a huge (40 year old) rhubarb plant by
spraying glyphosate on surrounding weeds with impunity!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

A large part of my veg area is covered in the stuff, how the hell can I
get rid of it easily?

Alan

Thanks all, will have to make some effort to kill the damned stuff, the
real trouble is it is all around stuff like rhubarb, which will be
difficult to screen!

Alan

dab weedkiller on the grass with a fine paint brush. It may take a little
time, depending on how much grass, but will be far more surgical than a
spray application.

rob

Old 06-04-2010, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

A large part of my veg area is covered in the stuff, how the hell can I
get rid of it easily?

Alan

Thanks all, will have to make some effort to kill the damned stuff, the
real trouble is it is all around stuff like rhubarb, which will be
difficult to screen!

Alan

dab weedkiller on the grass with a fine paint brush. It may take a little
time, depending on how much grass, but will be far more surgical than a
spray application.

It's a perfect nuisance (we call it "twitch" here) and I've like any idea
to deal with it organically.
Apart from picking out by hand all the rhizomes..
I really don't want to start using weedkiller after 25 years of being
organic - it would ruin everything.
It's dreadful stuff.
Tina

Old 06-04-2010, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"George" wrote in message

[...]

You could always try sowing Yellow Rattle. That gives it a fright!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George" wrote in message

[...]

Yellow Rattle (Rhinanthus spp.) is a parasitic plant for which the host
is assorted grasses. If you could establish Yellow Rattle it would
decrease the vigour of the grasses on which it was growing.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-04-2010, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes

"George" wrote in message

[...]

It has worked miraculously in my small wildflower meadow thereby
allowing space and nutrients for other, less invasive grasses as well as
for the flowers. Furthermore, once established, it self seeds itself
quite happily. See http://www.scotiaseeds.co.uk/Arch0610YRattle.htm.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 07-04-2010, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Yellow Rattle (Rhinanthus spp.) is a parasitic plant for which the host
is assorted grasses. If you could establish Yellow Rattle it would
decrease the vigour of the grasses on which it was growing.

So ... once it's established, how does one go about removing the yellow
rattle plants ... ?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.holmes View Post
A large part of my veg area is covered in the stuff, how the hell can I get
rid of it easily?

Alan
Get a couple of piglets.

Keeping couch grass out of polytunnels Michael Bell United Kingdom 5 22-04-2011 12:47 PM
Border full of couch grass! scorpy66 United Kingdom 9 11-06-2006 10:34 AM
Couch Grass panda United Kingdom 13 02-03-2006 12:34 AM
Couch Grass in Compost Brian Corbett Gardening 1 10-07-2005 08:15 PM
Composting nasties suchas couch grass Broadback United Kingdom 7 09-05-2004 08:05 AM