Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Default Old chicken manure

I have about half a sack of chicken manure left over from
last year. It now smells of ammonia instead of henhouse.
Is it still useable, and is it still useful?

Rhiannon

Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Brian

Perfectly safe to use but use it as sparingly~ as you would a fertilizer.
It's strong stuff. The ammonia smell is indicative of its nitrogenous
content.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 07 May 2004 21:42:19 +0100, Rhiannon Macfie Miller
wrote:

I have about half a sack of chicken manure left over from
last year. It now smells of ammonia instead of henhouse.
Is it still useable, and is it still useful?

I would add it to the compost heap. You can so easily kill plants
with chicken manure used neat. It will be an activator for your
compost and you will have some really good compost.

Pam in Bristol
Old 08-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Franz Heymann

"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote in message
I have about half a sack of chicken manure left over from
last year. It now smells of ammonia instead of henhouse.
Is it still useable, and is it still useful?

Absolutely. Get it into the soil before all the nitrogen in the
ammonia has evaporated. {:-))

Franz

Old 09-05-2004, 04:02 AM
gary davis

On 5/7/04 9:42 PM, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote in message
I have about half a sack of chicken manure left over from
last year. It now smells of ammonia instead of henhouse.
Is it still useable, and is it still useful?

Absolutely. Get it into the soil before all the nitrogen in the
ammonia has evaporated. {:-))

Franz

Yes, I agree. My guess is that is was dry before and then got wet which
releases the nitrogen into ammonia...This tells me, then, to keep my chicken
manure dry if I want to get the most nitrogen out of it. As I mentioned, I
am just guessing but I do know that it should be buried in soil asap.
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada

To reply direct...Please...remove yoursocks...I still think this is
funny...I may get over it...but I doubt it...