Old 09-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Sue da Nimm

Default OOPS! Tumbleweeded Asparagus

I was happily pottering about the asparagus with a paintbrush and a paint
can full of dilute tumbleweed. (The bed was showing the usual crop of annual
weeds and I find the best way to deal with these is to paint them with
Tumbleweed.)
Dustbin, our rather gormless Newfoundland, took a sudden fancy to my
hunched-up profile and gave me 12stone of affectionate nudge from behind.
The pot of Tumbleweed took a tumble and splashed a couple of the asparagus.
Aaagh!
From what I could see the stuff only splashed the spears and not their tips.
The rest disappeared into the soil where I assume it will do no harm.
Question 1... can the tumbleweed do any harm when splashed on stems rather
than leaves?

Question 2.... if Rhubarb likes old leather, bones, fur etc, what kind of
crop will I get once I've throttled Dustbin and planted him under the
rhubarb? ];o)

Old 09-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Brian

Remove the whole spear by cutting at about an inch under ground~~Today!
Dustbin is an unusual name for a dog! However I have a cat called 'Cooking
Fat'. For months he was nameless and used to sleep in the upstairs corridor
at night. I heard a guest stumble and state that he was fed up with the
'cooking fat'~~ so that became his name!!
Best Wishes Brian
"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message
I was happily pottering about the asparagus with a paintbrush and a paint
can full of dilute tumbleweed. (The bed was showing the usual crop of

annual
weeds and I find the best way to deal with these is to paint them with
Tumbleweed.)
Dustbin, our rather gormless Newfoundland, took a sudden fancy to my
hunched-up profile and gave me 12stone of affectionate nudge from behind.
The pot of Tumbleweed took a tumble and splashed a couple of the

asparagus.
Aaagh!
From what I could see the stuff only splashed the spears and not their

tips.

Old 09-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sue da Nimm
.? writes
I was happily pottering about the asparagus with a paintbrush and a paint
can full of dilute tumbleweed. (The bed was showing the usual crop of annual
weeds and I find the best way to deal with these is to paint them with
Tumbleweed.)
Dustbin, our rather gormless Newfoundland, took a sudden fancy to my
hunched-up profile and gave me 12stone of affectionate nudge from behind.
The pot of Tumbleweed took a tumble and splashed a couple of the asparagus.
Aaagh!
From what I could see the stuff only splashed the spears and not their tips.
The rest disappeared into the soil where I assume it will do no harm.
Question 1... can the tumbleweed do any harm when splashed on stems rather
than leaves?

Yes!
If it's not too long ago, I would cut off those spears quickly.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 09-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Malcolm

In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Sue da Nimm
.? writes
I was happily pottering about the asparagus with a paintbrush and a paint
can full of dilute tumbleweed. (The bed was showing the usual crop of annual
weeds and I find the best way to deal with these is to paint them with
Tumbleweed.)
Dustbin, our rather gormless Newfoundland, took a sudden fancy to my
hunched-up profile and gave me 12stone of affectionate nudge from behind.
The pot of Tumbleweed took a tumble and splashed a couple of the asparagus.
Aaagh!
From what I could see the stuff only splashed the spears and not their tips.
The rest disappeared into the soil where I assume it will do no harm.
Question 1... can the tumbleweed do any harm when splashed on stems rather
than leaves?

Yes!
If it's not too long ago, I would cut off those spears quickly.

But probably best not to eat them.........

--
Malcolm

oops.. Sheila United Kingdom 5 30-03-2009 10:25 AM
When to stop picking asparagus/asparagus beetle Janet Galpin United Kingdom 2 12-06-2006 08:47 AM
Where are you, those who grow asparagus? Was Asparagus - a weed? Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 06-05-2004 10:13 AM
Where are you, those who grow asparagus? Was Asparagus - a gary davis United Kingdom 0 04-05-2004 10:07 PM
Pelargonium potting questions - Oops! Victoria Clare United Kingdom 0 19-06-2003 10:44 AM