GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Flowery dog name needed! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60975-flowery-dog-name-needed.html)

Spider 10-05-2004 02:04 PM

Flowery dog name needed!

MallowKat wrote in message
Hello

I'm getting a border collie bitch soon and she needs pretty flowerery

name. So
far I've come up with ... Willow, Poppy, Rowan, Holly, Sorrel, Tansy,

Daisy,
Fern, Saffron and Jasmine. Can anyone think of any more?

Thankyou

Hi MallowKat,
To some extent I agree with the others - it shouldn't be too flowery. How
about Hazel, Kerry (as in Kerria), Linden or Cherry.
The name, whatever you choose, must be a strong calling and training name.
You could just call her Patch, of course, in recognition of the effect she
will have on your lawn! Sorry - couldn't resist it.
Spider

Janet Baraclough.. 10-05-2004 04:19 PM

Flowery dog name needed!

The message
from Tim Nicholson contains these words:

Aaaargggghhhh. Pretty flowery names might do for a ditsy labrador, but
puhlease, give a border collie a proper dog name that it won't be
ashamed of in public :-) Traditionally, border collies use a plain
single syllable name.

Janet.

Such as Bo, Fig, Ivy, May, Pia, Sal?

Erm, Ivy and Pia have two syllables..collies can count, you know.
Classic monosyllable working-collie names are Meg, Nan, Moss.

Maybe Moss or Fern would do.

Incidentally, one of my retrievers is called 'Holly' - but Ditsy's not
in Chambers, and is a word I've not come across before. Which
particular Labrador trait is it describing?

Ditsy appears in my Chambers (Concise, 1991 edition).
"US colloquial; amiably eccentric, scatterbrained, precious, affected".

Janet.

tekno anarchist 10-05-2004 05:14 PM

Flowery dog name needed!

MallowKat wrote:

Hello

I'm getting a border collie bitch soon and she needs pretty flowerery name. So
far I've come up with ... Willow, Poppy, Rowan, Holly, Sorrel, Tansy, Daisy,
Fern, Saffron and Jasmine. Can anyone think of any more?

some names for your new dog tulip, sprout, clover or rhubarb

Bob Hobden 10-05-2004 07:31 PM

Flowery dog name needed!

"Howard Neil" wrote in message after Bob Hobden wrote:

We have a female cat called officially Chrysanthemum, who would want to

open
the front door and calling out that late at night.
It's why she is now Coco after the rather nice feminine perfume, much

more
suitable.

I remember Coco as a very famous clown. :-(

She's that as well. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Victoria Clare 10-05-2004 07:32 PM

Flowery dog name needed!

emon (Rhiannon S) wrote in
:

Nonono, border collies have long mulitword names:

Oiyoudamnthingc'mere
youstroppyanimal

And of course the classic:

gerOFF

You can economise though, and just use 'Oi'.

tuin man 10-05-2004 09:05 PM

Flowery dog name needed!

"MallowKat" wrote in message
Hello

I'm getting a border collie bitch soon and she needs pretty flowerery

name. So
far I've come up with ... Willow, Poppy, Rowan, Holly, Sorrel, Tansy,

Daisy,
Fern, Saffron and Jasmine. Can anyone think of any more?

Thankyou

Dock
Thereby eluding to either a weed or an intellectual (doc) depending on your
mood at the time.

Patrick

Franz Heymann 10-05-2004 09:06 PM

Flowery dog name needed!

"MallowKat" wrote in message
Hello

I'm getting a border collie bitch soon and she needs pretty

flowerery name. So
far I've come up with ... Willow, Poppy, Rowan, Holly, Sorrel,

Tansy, Daisy,
Fern, Saffron and Jasmine. Can anyone think of any more?

Hippeastrum, Alstromeria, Xeranthemum, Yucca (Yuck for short?)

Franz

martin 10-05-2004 09:13 PM

Flowery dog name needed!

On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:01:48 +0100, "Sue da Nimm"
. wrote:

"MallowKat" wrote in message
Hello

I'm getting a border collie bitch soon and she needs pretty flowerery

name. So
far I've come up with ... Willow, Poppy, Rowan, Holly, Sorrel, Tansy,

Daisy,
Fern, Saffron and Jasmine. Can anyone think of any more?

Thankyou

Collie-Flower?

LOL! Joke of the Year!

martin 10-05-2004 09:14 PM

Flowery dog name needed!

On Mon, 10 May 2004 10:49:58 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Nick Wagg10/5/04 10:34
$ce4$1$8300dec7@news. demon.co.uk

"MallowKat" wrote in message
Hello

I'm getting a border collie bitch soon and she needs pretty flowerery

name. So
far I've come up with ... Willow, Poppy, Rowan, Holly, Sorrel, Tansy,

Daisy,
Fern, Saffron and Jasmine. Can anyone think of any more?

Euphorbia, Skimmia, Calendula...

A friend of mine had a dog named Agapanthus - Pantha to her friends. ;-)

Pants, when out of breath? :-)

martin 10-05-2004 09:15 PM

Flowery dog name needed!

On 10 May 2004 10:26:51 GMT, emon (Rhiannon S)

Subject: Flowery dog name needed!
From: Janet Baraclough..

Date: 09/05/2004 23:19 GMT Daylight Time
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , MallowKat
writes
Hello

I'm getting a border collie bitch soon and she needs pretty flowerery
name. So
far I've come up with ... Willow, Poppy, Rowan, Holly, Sorrel, Tansy,
Daisy,
Fern, Saffron and Jasmine. Can anyone think of any more?

You're forgetting all the old fashioned ones! ;-)
Rose, Rosemary, Lily, Iris, Violet, May, Pansy

Aaaargggghhhh. Pretty flowery names might do for a ditsy labrador, but
puhlease, give a border collie a proper dog name that it won't be
ashamed of in public :-) Traditionally, border collies use a plain
single syllable name.

Nonono, border collies have long mulitword names:

Oiyoudamnthingc'mere
youstroppyanimal
wait'tilIgetmyhandsonyou
don'tburythatthere

LOL you've been to a sheep dog trial as well.

martin 10-05-2004 09:15 PM

Flowery dog name needed!

On Mon, 10 May 2004 19:15:23 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"MallowKat" wrote in message
Hello

I'm getting a border collie bitch soon and she needs pretty

flowerery name. So
far I've come up with ... Willow, Poppy, Rowan, Holly, Sorrel,

Tansy, Daisy,
Fern, Saffron and Jasmine. Can anyone think of any more?

Hippeastrum, Alstromeria, Xeranthemum, Yucca (Yuck for short?)

Isn't Yuck what you call the neighbour's cat's efforts in your garden
Franz?

Sacha 10-05-2004 11:12 PM

Flowery dog name needed!

martin10/5/04 8:47

wrote:

"MallowKat" wrote in message
Hello

I'm getting a border collie bitch soon and she needs pretty

flowerery name. So
far I've come up with ... Willow, Poppy, Rowan, Holly, Sorrel,

Tansy, Daisy,
Fern, Saffron and Jasmine. Can anyone think of any more?

Hippeastrum, Alstromeria, Xeranthemum, Yucca (Yuck for short?)

Isn't Yuck what you call the neighbour's cat's efforts in your garden
Franz?

How about "Weed"; or maybe Pet(al)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

martin 10-05-2004 11:15 PM

Flowery dog name needed!

martin10/5/04 8:47

wrote:

"MallowKat" wrote in message
Hello

I'm getting a border collie bitch soon and she needs pretty
flowerery name. So
far I've come up with ... Willow, Poppy, Rowan, Holly, Sorrel,
Tansy, Daisy,
Fern, Saffron and Jasmine. Can anyone think of any more?

Hippeastrum, Alstromeria, Xeranthemum, Yucca (Yuck for short?)

Isn't Yuck what you call the neighbour's cat's efforts in your garden
Franz?

How about "Weed"; or maybe Pet(al)

Collie-wobbles?

David Hill 11-05-2004 12:13 AM

Flowery dog name needed!

This all reminds me of when in the late 60's just after I had got married.
We were living in a flat in Hastings, and were coming home one Sunday
afternoon, Just got out of the car when this Little child from a few doors
down ran out of her gate chasing a puppy as fast as her little legs would
allow. She was follower shortly after by her very embarrassed mother.......
Why embarrassed? I hear you ask. Well....
As she chased the pup she was calling out "Come here piddle pup, come here
piddle pup".

Children....don't you love them.

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Robert E A Harvey 11-05-2004 02:15 AM

Flowery dog name needed!

(MallowKat) wrote in message ...
Hello

I'm getting a border collie bitch soon and she needs pretty flowerery name. So
far I've come up with ... Willow, Poppy, Rowan, Holly, Sorrel, Tansy, Daisy,
Fern, Saffron and Jasmine. Can anyone think of any more?

Well, when I was growing up it was the thing to give country dogs a
name with a strong sibilent content - Bess, Sam, that sort of thing.
Although I was advised to do it, no-one ever said why out loud. I
think it was so you could go 'sss' very quietly while out poaching and
get the dog's attention.

There are some good candidates in your list already.

No border collie is a Willow or a Jasmine. Trust me on this. Rowan,
Sorrel, maybe. But not a Poppy! Just look at them.

What about Gorse? It's a traditional name for a dog from both sides
of the border, it's sibilent, and it's horticultural?