Old 12-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Brian

Default Sodium Chlorate

"Rod" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 May 2004 09:12:50 +0100, John Edgar
wrote:

On Tue, 11 May 2004 17:00:54 +0100, John Edgar
wrote:

On the packet of sodium chlorate it says "do not use near to flowers,
shrubs etc."

Does anyone have any advice as to how near is near?
John
In limine sapientiae

Thanks for all the replies. We bought the pack at Hilliers Garden
Centre just outside Horsham. Methinks it may be a toned down "modern"
version.
John
In limine sapientiae

Well it will have a fire retardant in it, so no good for fireworks,
otherwise all of the reservations expressed still apply. I heard of a
garden shop - Ye Olde sort of garden shop that kept it in an open bin
behind the counter and a visiting rep threw a cigarette end over the
counter.............

Rod

Surprisingly it is quite inert and will not even burn unless adulterated
with nameless substances. Similar [un-adulterated] to Sodium Chloride.
Alone, no chemical reaction is possible. But don't try it!!
Best Wishes. Brian

Old 14-05-2004, 07:14 PM

"Peter Coddington" writes:

"John Edgar" wrote in message
news
On the packet of sodium chlorate it says "do not use near to flowers,
shrubs etc."

As an interesting point. Prior to Garden Centres, Supermarkets. I remember
purchasing this product from the local Chemists Shop. I had to declare its
intended use and also sign a register ( dangerous drugs ???)
Any other readers remember this era or was this specific to my local Chemist
who was taking precautions should I use it for some unlawful purpose?

Explosives probably, sodium chlorate is a very good oxidiser. The
freely available version is full of stuff to spoil the fun of budding
chemists.

Anthony

Old 14-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Franz Heymann

"John Rouse" wrote in message
In article , John Edgar
writes
On the packet of sodium chlorate it says "do not use near to

flowers,
shrubs etc."

Does anyone have any advice as to how near is near?

How near to Leylandii can you use it?

It depends on whether you are trying to kill or protect the Leylandii.

Franz

Old 15-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Steve Black

wrote in message ...
"Peter Coddington" writes:

"John Edgar" wrote in message
news
On the packet of sodium chlorate it says "do not use near to flowers,
shrubs etc."

As an interesting point. Prior to Garden Centres, Supermarkets. I

remember
purchasing this product from the local Chemists Shop. I had to declare

its
intended use and also sign a register ( dangerous drugs ???)
Any other readers remember this era or was this specific to my local

Chemist
who was taking precautions should I use it for some unlawful purpose?

Explosives probably, sodium chlorate is a very good oxidiser. The
freely available version is full of stuff to spoil the fun of budding
chemists.

Anthony

Still works a treat when mixed with sugar!