Old 26-04-2011, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sodium Chlorate

I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?
Old 26-04-2011, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Moonraker
writes
I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say.

They are correct, it was banned from sale as a weedkiller from September
2009

However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make sense.

There are other uses for it. We buy all sorts of chemicals mail order
you can't easily get on the high street.

Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the net
are rather high?

Dunno, but I never really liked it's use as a weedkiller. There are
alterative 'long term' weed killers such as Bayer Long Lasting Ground
Clear

http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/product...d=151&category
id=12
--
Chris French

Old 26-04-2011, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2011 16:28, Moonraker wrote:
I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?

It is heavy stuff, so postage would be high. I used to use it quite a
lot as a weed killer on the drive (as well as making my own fireworks
:-) ) but found bulk generic (unbranded) glyphosate to be much more cost
effective and you can use it to clear weeds from a weed infested area
intended as a future garden bed without fear of it leaving the soil
poisoned for any length of time after application.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 26-04-2011, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 26, 3:28*pm, Moonraker wrote:
I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?

It is banned as it can be used to make explosives. So you can thank
our Pakistanis friends for that.
Old 26-04-2011, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On Apr 26, 3:28 pm, Moonraker wrote:
I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?

It is banned as it can be used to make explosives. So you can thank
our Pakistanis friends for that.
.................................................. ............................

Not sure. Stand to be corrected, but I think you will find it is the Irish
you need to thank

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 26-04-2011, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2011 19:46, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 26, 3:28 pm, wrote:
I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?

It is banned as it can be used to make explosives. So you can thank
our Pakistanis friends for that.

Not sure. Stand to be corrected, but I think you will find it is the Irish
you need to thank

Mike

That is no longer true, it can no longer be used for that as it is
treated with a fire retardant.

Old 26-04-2011, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2011 21:00, Moonraker wrote:
On 26/04/2011 19:46, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 26, 3:28 pm, wrote:
I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?

It is banned as it can be used to make explosives. So you can thank
our Pakistanis friends for that.

Not sure. Stand to be corrected, but I think you will find it is the
Irish
you need to thank

Mike

That is no longer true, it can no longer be used for that as it is
treated with a fire retardant.

The fire retardant just means your dead and dry weeds don't go with so
much of a WHOOSH if you try to burn them later. All I'll say is that
I've made fireworks with the stuff in the past. My interests were only
pyrotechnic not malicious, but trust me when I say that despite the fire
retardant you can still use it to make very powerful explosives - no
problem.

Old 26-04-2011, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ys
"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:33:02 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Apr 26, 3:28 pm, Moonraker wrote:
I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?

It is banned as it can be used to make explosives. So you can thank
our Pakistanis friends for that.

The IRA surely?
--

Martin

Old 27-04-2011, 06:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 26, 8:00*pm, Moonraker wrote:
On 26/04/2011 19:46, 'Mike' wrote:

*wrote in message
On Apr 26, 3:28 pm, *wrote:
I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?

It is banned as it can be used to make explosives. *So you can thank
our Pakistanis friends for that.
.................................................. ..........................*..

Not sure. Stand to be corrected, but I think you will find it is the Irish
you need to thank

Mike

That is no longer true, it can no longer be used for that as it is
treated with a fire retardant.

--
Residing on low ground in North Staffordshire- Hide quoted text -

The fire retardant can be quite easily removed by a schoolboy chemist.
The reason you canbuy it on the internets that a trace on the buyer is
established. In B&Q anyone could walk in and pay cash.
Old 27-04-2011, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 26/04/2011 19:46, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 26, 3:28 pm, wrote:

I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?

It is banned as it can be used to make explosives. So you can thank
our Pakistanis friends for that.

Not sure. Stand to be corrected, but I think you will find it is the Irish
you need to thank

Not true. Their preferred explosive mixture is ANFO for which the
ingredients are still widely available in bulk agricultural quantities.

No, it was the IRA - I remember when the process started - but the
real blame lies in Whitehall. Their SOP is to ban things that are
easy to ban, irrespective of whether they are a significant threat,
just as that was the SOP with airport 'security' and, to a great
extent, still is.

The same applies to true Elfin Safety. There was a VERY nasty
problem with benomyl and fertile women in commercial glasshouses,
so the solution was to ban it for domestic use and make no change
to its regulations for commercial use.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-04-2011, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...
On 26/04/2011 19:46, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 26, 3:28 pm, wrote:
I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?

It is banned as it can be used to make explosives. So you can thank
our Pakistanis friends for that.

Not sure. Stand to be corrected, but I think you will find it is the Irish
you need to thank

Mike

That is no longer true, it can no longer be used for that as it is
treated with a fire retardant.

Not normally their number 1 fan but on this occassion elf and safety had
a point, not only does it poison the ground but there was a tragic case
of a child incinerated down here after its use on grass, child was
playing on the area of dead grass when something ignited it.

I don't think terrorism was the reason as there are plenty of much
stronger fertilizer type chemicals still available.

If it were me I would buy Glysophate or one of the path clear types
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 27-04-2011, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2011 19:46, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 26, 3:28 pm, wrote:
I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?

It is banned as it can be used to make explosives. So you can thank
our Pakistanis friends for that.

Not sure. Stand to be corrected, but I think you will find it is the Irish
you need to thank

Not true. Their preferred explosive mixture is ANFO for which the
ingredients are still widely available in bulk agricultural quantities.

Chlorate compositions are more for amateur coloured fire pyrotechnics
and decidedly tetchy if you don't really understand what you are doing.
Potassium chlorate is preferred for pyrotechnics compositions.

If anyone is to blame for the EEC wide ban on chlorate weedkillers it is
actually the French rapporteur as described in the following missive:

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/uploade...008_865_EC.pdf

I doubt that chlorate is really all *that* bad in the environment.
Though the tendency of stuff doused in it to conflagration is a bad side
effect. Rich tea biscuits go particularly well (and also with LOX).

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 28-04-2011, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Apr 26, 3:28 pm, Moonraker wrote:
I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?

It is banned as it can be used to make explosives. So you can thank
our Pakistanis friends for that.

The IRA surely?

A very long time ago a cousin of mine was interested in chemistry and taught
me how to make explosives using Sodium Chlorate, it was a very interesting
experiment, and another using red top matches!

Alan

--

Martin

Old 28-04-2011, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Apr 26, 3:28 pm, wrote:
I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?

It is banned as it can be used to make explosives. So you can thank
our Pakistanis friends for that.

The IRA surely?

A very long time ago a cousin of mine was interested in chemistry and taught
me how to make explosives using Sodium Chlorate, it was a very interesting
experiment, and another using red top matches!

The most common beginners explosive mixture using chlorate is very
tetchy and generally associated with the loss of fingers and/or limbs.
You were lucky to escape intact.

Modern fireworks factories are obliged to keep fabrication of chlorate
compositions entirely separate from gunpowder based ones to avoid such
disastrous spontaneous detonations during manufacture.

Even a century ago major disasters at fireworks factories were
frequently attributed to bad handling of bulk chlorates and owners
prosecuted accordingly eg.

http://www3.gendisasters.com/new-jer...osion-may-1904

There was a bad one a few years back with similar root cause.

Regards,
Martin Brown