Old 14-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Steve @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Default Air Layering

I may be better asking in another group such as the Bonsai one but here
goes...
Has anyone ever tried to air layer a Eucalyptus tree.
I have a very nice tree in my garden about 10ft high. Because it has always
been clipped back and shaped, it has grown some nice thick branches. At the
end of this year I planned to lop off some to bring the size down a bit and
get some new growth.
The branches would make some great thick trunks, 6" to 10" diameter, for
Bonsai and as Eucalyptus has no problem re-shooting I like to give it a go
and turn them into Bonsai trees.

So the question is will I be wasting my time in trying to air layer half a
dozen branches.

Thanks
Steve
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
www.ukstorms.com

Old 15-05-2004, 01:06 AM
David Hill

If your going to give them the chop anyway what have you to loose but say an
hour of your time?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 15-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Brian

"David Hill" wrote in message
If your going to give them the chop anyway what have you to loose but say

an
hour of your time?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

I regret that I could not understand the question. Bonsai with 10" trunks?

Sorry cannot offer any advice though Eucalypts are grown from seed.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 15-05-2004, 09:08 PM

"Brian" wrote in message

"David Hill" wrote in message
If your going to give them the chop anyway what have you to loose but

say
an
hour of your time?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

I regret that I could not understand the question. Bonsai with 10"

trunks?
Sorry cannot offer any advice though Eucalypts are grown from seed.
Best Wishes Brian.

The Bonsai news group informs me that it is very easy with an Eucalypts so I
off for some moss.
Thanks all
Steve

Old 17-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Steve @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote in message
[...]

As far as I know you are wasting your time, as Eucalyptus don't take from
cuttings and have to be grown from seed. I would be delighted to hear
otherwise! :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-05-2004, 10:16 PM

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

[...]

This was the post in the bonsai group..
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...530914081.html

This person used ring-bark method, no hormones, l-f spagnum
to root in, started in mid-spring.
Steve

[IBC] air layering Jim Lewis Bonsai 8 25-04-2004 11:18 PM
[IBC] Air layering Oak Trees George Bizas Bonsai 6 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
air layering XdjipsterX Bonsai 0 17-03-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] Air Layering a shimpaku Neal Ross Bonsai 3 15-03-2003 02:20 AM
[IBC] air layering for new nebari Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 25-01-2003 02:13 PM