Old 16-05-2004, 02:06 PM
stefos

Default Block Paving cleaner

Hello,
Does anyone know a foolproof method for cleaning and keeping clear block
paving footpaths as mildew soon reappears.
Regards
Stefos

Old 16-05-2004, 04:07 PM
John Edgar

On Sun, 16 May 2004 12:20:23 +0000 (UTC), "stefos"
wrote:

Hello,
Does anyone know a foolproof method for cleaning and keeping clear block
paving footpaths as mildew soon reappears.
Regards
Stefos

I use a high pressure hose once a year. Keeps all my paths and paving
stones clear for the summer. From late october onwards the nasty stuff
starts to re-appear, but then in March I blast it away. Surprisingly
does not use too much water. It takes me about 8 - 10 hours and I use
about £2 worth of water.
John
In limine sapientiae
Old 17-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Charlie Pridham

"stefos" wrote in message
Hello,
Does anyone know a foolproof method for cleaning and keeping clear block
paving footpaths as mildew soon reappears.
Regards
Stefos

Try good old washing soda and a long handled scrubbing brush.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 17-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Moo

wrote:

Hello,
Does anyone know a foolproof method for cleaning and keeping clear block
paving footpaths as mildew soon reappears.
Regards
Stefos

I use a high pressure hose once a year. Keeps all my paths and paving
stones clear for the summer. From late october onwards the nasty stuff
starts to re-appear, but then in March I blast it away. Surprisingly
does not use too much water. It takes me about 8 - 10 hours and I use
about £2 worth of water.
John
In limine sapientiae

8-10 hours??! How many paths do you have?

Old 19-05-2004, 10:27 AM
John Edgar

On Mon, 17 May 2004 15:42:59 +0100, "Moo"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Hello,
Does anyone know a foolproof method for cleaning and keeping clear block
paving footpaths as mildew soon reappears.
Regards
Stefos

I use a high pressure hose once a year. Keeps all my paths and paving
stones clear for the summer. From late october onwards the nasty stuff
starts to re-appear, but then in March I blast it away. Surprisingly
does not use too much water. It takes me about 8 - 10 hours and I use
about £2 worth of water.
John
In limine sapientiae

8-10 hours??! How many paths do you have?

It's more a question of how much rather than how many. We have only 3
main paved areas, but they are quite large. I take 2 days to do it.
Perhaps it could be done more quickly, but I like to do it properly.
John
In limine sapientiae

Old 19-05-2004, 10:28 AM
John Edgar

On Mon, 17 May 2004 08:06:05 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"stefos" wrote in message
Hello,
Does anyone know a foolproof method for cleaning and keeping clear block
paving footpaths as mildew soon reappears.
Regards
Stefos

Try good old washing soda and a long handled scrubbing brush.

God, that would take me 2 months to do mine!
John
In limine sapientiae
Old 22-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Registered User

Location: London

Quote:
Originally posted by stefos
Hello,
Does anyone know a foolproof method for cleaning and keeping clear block
paving footpaths as mildew soon reappears.
Regards
Stefos
Block paving is normally made of concrete. Its rough surfaces make a wonderful home for moss (am assuming the problem is moss rather than mildew) especially in shady areas.

The only foolproof way to prevent re-occurence of moss is to seal the path with either a polyeurethane or acrylic sealer after the blocks have been cleaned and resanded. See my website for details

www.pavingdoctor.com

Jeyes fluid is good in a solution on driveways (brush vigourously before applying and afterwards and then hose off) but I wouldn't recommend it on paths as it should not be applied near bedding plants etc.

Wood block paving Tim W United Kingdom 8 25-05-2005 10:06 PM
decking, paving, block or concrete? mentalguy2004 United Kingdom 5 23-03-2005 12:01 PM
cleaning block paving Ramon A United Kingdom 4 18-02-2004 04:44 AM
pond cleaner LRobi31070 Ponds (alternative) 16 23-05-2003 04:08 PM
vacuum cleaner for water (like sludge )reservoir Neonel Ponds 3 07-05-2003 05:20 AM