Old 17-05-2004, 09:27 PM
John Horne

Default Lawn seed and glyphos

I am preparing a lawn bed, got it reasonably flat, tilled it, raked it, loved
it and all that malarkey, applied a generous helping of Glyphos to give the
weeds the good news... so how long before I can reasonably expect to scatter
the good seed?

TIA
John
Old 17-05-2004, 09:27 PM
martin

On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:04:56 +0200, martin wrote:

On 17 May 2004 19:59:35 GMT, (John Horne) wrote:

I am preparing a lawn bed, got it reasonably flat, tilled it, raked it, loved
it and all that malarkey, applied a generous helping of Glyphos to give the
weeds the good news... so how long before I can reasonably expect to scatter
the good seed?

FAQs for Glyphosate
http://www.pbi.co.uk/products/faqs.p...5f7 09#faq191
1. I bought some Bio Glyphosate Concentrate and am about to use it.
Can you explain why there are two different application rates stated
on the label depending on whether a sprayer or watering can is used?
2. I'm clearing an area of weeds so I can seed a lawn. How long do
I need to wait between applying Bio Glyphosate and laying the grass
seed?
3. I treated some weeds around my garden last week. They seem to be
showing no signs of death, whilst other weedkillers I have tried in
the past, such as Bio Kills Weeds Dead Fast!, turned the weeds brown
and crispy within days of treatment. Why has Bio Glyp
4. Do I need to wear protective gloves when treating bindweed in my
hedge with the Bio Glyphosate Pen?
5. I have just moved into a new property and I have lots of weeds
to deal with in the back garden. I have been told that glyphosate is
the best weedkiller to use for such but can you tell me when is the
best time to use it?
6. Can you provide me with any advice with regards to the use of a
total weedkiller such as Bio Glyphosate around plants I wish to keep?

1. I bought some Bio Glyphosate Concentrate and am about to use it.
Can you explain why there are two different application rates stated
on the label depending on whether a sprayer or watering can is used?
The only difference between the two different application rates stated
on the label are the volumes of water used. You will note that the
same amount of product is applied to the same area of ground in both
instances (i.e. 50 ml of product over 20 sq.m). A larger amount of
water is required to apply the weedkiller through the watering can to
ensure even and easy coverage of the designated area. A smaller volume
of water is required to apply the weedkiller through the sprayer to
the designated area as a sprayer provides a better surface area
coverage as finer droplets are created through the sprayer nozzle. If
the same quantity of water suggested for the watering can were to be
applied through a sprayer it would take a long time to spray out.

Back to top
2. I'm clearing an area of weeds so I can seed a lawn. How long do I
need to wait between applying Bio Glyphosate and laying the grass
seed?
Bio Glyphosate is deactivated on contact with soil. It only works by
absorption through the green part of plants. Grass seed could be
applied straight after the application of the weedkiller but
realistically it is better to wait until the weeds are dead as it may
be necessary to retreat some of the more persistent weeds and it is
much better to wait and clear the weeds fully than have to try and
deal with them as the new grass is growing.

Back to top
3. I treated some weeds around my garden last week. They seem to be
showing no signs of death, whilst other weedkillers I have tried in
the past, such as Bio Kills Weeds Dead Fast!, turned the weeds brown
and crispy within days of treatment. Why has Bio Glyp
Bio Glyphosate contains the active ingredient glyphosate which is
systemic in action. This means that it is absorbed through the leaves
of the weed and then it travels within the weed to all parts including
the roots. Once it has fully circulated within the weed, it then
causes death. This process takes time. Weed death should be seen
approximately 3 weeks after application of the Bio Glyphosate. The
other weedkillers you have tried which show much faster control are
known as contact weedkillers, i.e. they quickly affect the upper parts
of the weed which come in to contact with the weedkiller.

Back to top
4. Do I need to wear protective gloves when treating bindweed in my
hedge with the Bio Glyphosate Pen?
No. The Bio Glyphosate Pen is registered and designed for home garden
use. As part of this registration with the UK Regulatory Authority it
must be shown that the product is suitable to use without the need for
protective clothing or equipment. This situation is the same for all
weedkillers, and garden pest and disease controls.

Back to top
5. I have just moved into a new property and I have lots of weeds to
deal with in the back garden. I have been told that glyphosate is the
best weedkiller to use for such but can you tell me when is the best
time to use it?
Bio Glyphosate contains the active ingredient glyphosate which is
systemic in action. This means that it is absorbed through the leaves
of the weed and then it travels within the weed to all parts including
the roots. Once it has fully circulated within the weed, it then
causes death. This process takes time. Weed death should be seen
approximately 3 weeks after application of the Bio Glyphosate. As this
weedkiller is systemic, it is important that it is applied to weeds
which are actively growing. Avoid using the weedkiller in times of
drought or when temperatures are low as the weeds will not be growing
efficiently. It may seem a strange concept but it may be useful to
water any areas of weeds a day or so before the application of Bio
Glyphosate to get them growing! The golden rule when using Bio
Glyphosate is 'The better the weeds are growing, the better the
product will work!'

Back to top
6. Can you provide me with any advice with regards to the use of a
total weedkiller such as Bio Glyphosate around plants I wish to keep?
Weedkiller such as Bio Glyphosate will only kill a plant if the spray
lands onto the greenery of that plant as this is the only way it can
be absorbed. The weedkiller cannot be taken up through the roots of
the plant. If Bio Glyphosate, or any total weedkiller such as Bio
Kills Weeds Dead Fast!, is being used between wanted plants then care
should be taken not to get the spray onto those plants. A good tip is
to hold a large piece of cardboard in front of those wanted plants so
they are protected from any potential spray drift.