Old 17-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Trevor Appleton

Default Vine weevils - can they fly?

Have hundreds if a couple of thousand plants in pots, and never knowingly
had a vine weevil, but we have recently been finding one or two per day in
the house, crawling up walls.

Have hardly any house plants (one rubber plant and a pitcher plant)

Do they actively try and get into the house? Why?

Old 17-05-2004, 11:27 PM
David Hill

".............. Do they actively try and get into the house? Why?........"

Could it be they are after the gardening Mags. and books to find out what
plants they should be eating?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 18-05-2004, 09:09 AM
martin

On Mon, 17 May 2004 23:10:32 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

".............. Do they actively try and get into the house? Why?........"

Could it be they are after the gardening Mags. and books to find out what
plants they should be eating?

LOL
Old 18-05-2004, 12:14 PM
shazzbat

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
-service-com...
Have hundreds if a couple of thousand plants in pots, and never knowingly
had a vine weevil, but we have recently been finding one or two per day in
the house, crawling up walls.

Have hardly any house plants (one rubber plant and a pitcher plant)

Do they actively try and get into the house? Why?

Are you sure they're vine weevils and not some other beastie? We've had them
in the garden for years, they love nibbling the leaves of thunbergia, and
the larvae regularly trash the container plants by eating the roots, but
we've never seen one indoors.

And no, they can't fly.

Steve

Old 18-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Joanne

"shazzbat" wrote in message

vine weevil, but we have recently been finding one or two per day in
the house, crawling up walls.

Do they actively try and get into the house? Why?

Are you sure they're vine weevils and not some other beastie? We've had

them
in the garden for years, they love nibbling the leaves of thunbergia, and
the larvae regularly trash the container plants by eating the roots, but
we've never seen one indoors.

I've had vine weevil indoors, although not actually on my indoor plants
(touch wood) but I've found a few crawling along the skirting board.

Old 18-05-2004, 04:20 PM
David Hill

Many years ago I was running a gardening group and was asked if I could
identify an insect found on a 14 floor balcony in Glasgow, a picture was
enclosed and yes.....it was a vine weevil.
If you watch the speed they travel its not surprising that they turn up
everywhere, they can grip on almost any surface and are certainly not afraid
of heights.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 18-05-2004, 07:26 PM
JennyC

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
-service-com...
Have hundreds if a couple of thousand plants in pots, and never knowingly
had a vine weevil, but we have recently been finding one or two per day in
the house, crawling up walls.

Have hardly any house plants (one rubber plant and a pitcher plant)

Do they actively try and get into the house? Why?

Maybe the dry, warm conditions ?
I see them indoors occasionally, yet don't seem to have lost any
houseplants........
Jenny