Old 21-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Victoria Clare

Default sudden death of apricot

Planted last spring from a pot. Sunny spot, reasonably sheltered, very
slightly acid soil with plenty of compost mulch. About four feet tall.

Had a little blossom last year, leaves were healthy.

This year, no sign of leaf or bloom, young twigs shrivelling and bark seems
to be drying up.

I think it's had it, though there is still green under the bark lower down.

What could this be?

I' ve noticed some of my new raspberry canes are a bit blighted looking in
places, and my fig tree (south wall, very sunny) has also died right back
and is growing new branches from about 2 feet up.

Not sure if this is the same thing, but I mention it justincase.

All guesses much appreciated.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 21-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Brian

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.209...
Planted last spring from a pot. Sunny spot, reasonably sheltered, very
slightly acid soil with plenty of compost mulch. About four feet tall.

Had a little blossom last year, leaves were healthy.

This year, no sign of leaf or bloom, young twigs shrivelling and bark

seems
to be drying up.

I think it's had it, though there is still green under the bark lower

down.

What could this be?

I can make no guess yet, but stone-fruits need a neutral to alkaline

soil. You Tamar Valley soil should be suitable and was originally famed for
its stone-fruits.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 24-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Victoria Clare

"Brian" wrote in
:

I can make no guess yet, but stone-fruits need a neutral to alkaline
soil. You Tamar Valley soil should be suitable and was originally
famed for its stone-fruits.

I'm on the steepest north-facing bit of the valley, not the south-facing
cherry-growing area. It's mostly apples round here, and the soil is
gravelly rather than loamy.

It is definitely not alkaline. Lots of rhodos, camellias and heathers
roundabout, and my test kit says neutral at the top, and v slightly acid at
the bottom of the garden.

Are you sure stone fruits prefer alkaline soils? I can't find anything on
the web saying this, and had not heard it before.

I've got a dratted plum tree further up the garden that has thrown a
thousand suckers and is happily making itself into a small wood: it seems
to like the soil - a bit too much!

Victoria