Old 22-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Amber Ormerod

Default old turf

Most of the places we are going to make into flower beds currently have
grass on. I presumed that if dug up and covered over the turf would die. How
long does it usually take to make it into soil again and can I then use it
in flower beds?

thanks
amber

Old 23-05-2004, 07:52 AM
Robert

Amber Ormerod wrote:
: Most of the places we are going to make into flower beds currently
: have grass on. I presumed that if dug up and covered over the turf
: would die. How long does it usually take to make it into soil again
: and can I then use it in flower beds?
:
: thanks
: amber

If you dig it in turf slabs and stack it, it rots down to a lovely loam
compost which you can use anywhere

Old 23-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Amber Ormerod

"Robert" wrote in message
Amber Ormerod wrote:
: Most of the places we are going to make into flower beds currently
: have grass on. I presumed that if dug up and covered over the turf
: would die. How long does it usually take to make it into soil again
: and can I then use it in flower beds?
:
: thanks
: amber

If you dig it in turf slabs and stack it, it rots down to a lovely loam
compost which you can use anywhere

How long does this usually take? I need to know how to work out how much
storeage space I need to give this.
thanks
amber

Old 23-05-2004, 07:58 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Amber Ormerod wrote:

"Robert" wrote in message
Amber Ormerod wrote:
: Most of the places we are going to make into flower beds currently
: have grass on. I presumed that if dug up and covered over the turf
: would die. How long does it usually take to make it into soil again
: and can I then use it in flower beds?

If you dig it in turf slabs and stack it, it rots down to a lovely loam
compost which you can use anywhere

How long does this usually take? I need to know how to work out how much
storeage space I need to give this.

Say, 6 months. But you can stack it 3-4' high, or more if you are
creating a lot!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-05-2004, 08:01 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
If you dig it in turf slabs and stack it, it rots down to a lovely loam
compost which you can use anywhere

How long does this usually take? I need to know how to work out how much
storeage space I need to give this.

Say, 6 months. But you can stack it 3-4' high, or more if you are
creating a lot!

If you have enough, turf makes an excellent compost heap.
Build three sides from turf blocks and fill with usual compostable materials
from the front.

Old 23-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Amber Ormerod

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
If you dig it in turf slabs and stack it, it rots down to a lovely

loam
compost which you can use anywhere

How long does this usually take? I need to know how to work out how

much
storeage space I need to give this.

Say, 6 months. But you can stack it 3-4' high, or more if you are
creating a lot!

If you have enough, turf makes an excellent compost heap.
Build three sides from turf blocks and fill with usual compostable

materials
from the front.

I already have a compost heap ;-( but I am sure 3-4' highs going to be no
problem at this rate!

Old 23-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Brian

"Amber Ormerod" wrote in message
Most of the places we are going to make into flower beds currently have
grass on. I presumed that if dug up and covered over the turf would die.

How
long does it usually take to make it into soil again and can I then use it
in flower beds?

thanks
amber

The turf contains the nutrients of the your potential flower beds and
will have to be replaced. Why not simply dig and bury the turf as you go?
Grass side down. It will quickly rot and benefit the flowers. This would be
similar to the ploughing of a larger area.
If you stack it you will still have to return it anyway.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 23-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Brian" wrote in message

"Amber Ormerod" wrote in message
Most of the places we are going to make into flower beds currently have
grass on. I presumed that if dug up and covered over the turf would die.

How
long does it usually take to make it into soil again and can I then use

it
in flower beds?

thanks
amber

The turf contains the nutrients of the your potential flower beds and
will have to be replaced. Why not simply dig and bury the turf as you go?
Grass side down. It will quickly rot and benefit the flowers. This would

be
similar to the ploughing of a larger area.
If you stack it you will still have to return it anyway.
Best Wishes Brian.

doesn't it grow up, like you get happening with weeds?

Old 23-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Broadback

Amber Ormerod wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message

[...]

If you do stack it then I suggest you cover it with a light proof cover,
eg black polythene or old carpet. I didn't and it developed into a
lovely mound of grass and weeds. :-(

Cheers
John

--
Please only reply to Newsgroup as emails
to this address are deleted on arrival.
Old 23-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Brian

"Brian" wrote in message

[...]

The grass will not grow again if inverted and a few inches deep. The only
exception would be couch grass but this is not normally found in lawns.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 23-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Brian" wrote in message

[...]

coo. Thanks for all the help.
amber

Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf Mj62 Lawns 7 06-02-2011 06:57 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 10:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM