Old 27-05-2004, 02:30 PM
martin

Default OT honey bees in roof

On Thu, 27 May 2004 09:33:09 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Gales almost certainly blend theirs for consistency of consistency.

I'm pretty sure heating comes into it somewhere with commercial honey - to
keep it runny, I mean. I know that my home grown honey gradually thickened
up as it got older (don't we all) but standing a jar of such honey in a bowl
of hot water or on top of an AGA will turn it runny again. I remember
asking an expert bee keeper friend about why Gales runny honey stayed that
way and heating it was the answer but I can't remember to what temp.

No. Heating comes into it for pasteurisation.

if you evaporate off some of the desolved water, by heating, like any
other sugar solution it will crystallise sooner/more.

Old 27-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Honey is basically sugar, and a saturated sugar solution will be
'liquid' at higher temperatures and crystallise as it cools. Not sure
what the amount of crystallisation depends on, but it can be increased
by physical stress, so that, for example, when making crumbly fudge, you
press a spatula against it repeatedly when cooling to encourage it to
crystallise.

Honey is basically a mixture of sugars, some of which will not
crystallise until very low temperatures are reached, while others
crystallise halfway down from boiling point (of water).

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 27-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

No. Heating comes into it for pasteurisation.

if you evaporate off some of the desolved water, by heating, like any
other sugar solution it will crystallise sooner/more.

Not necessarily: even assuming you did lose a significant amount of
water, which I doubt, (as it would be a commercial shot-own-foot),
heating honey may invert some of the sugar if any acids are present, and
this would inhibit setting too.