Old 23-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Council compost

I have bought seven bags of composted garden waste, produced by my
Local Council, at £2.50 per 50 litre (or is it 40 litre?) bag. The
stuff is very dark in colour. It has a fine and reasonably even
texture. It is beautifully friable and smells earthy. I have started
using it as a mulch.

Does any urgler have any experience of similarly produced compost? If
so, would he/she care to share her/his experience?

Franz

Old 24-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Diane Epps

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
I have bought seven bags of composted garden waste, produced by my
Local Council, at £2.50 per 50 litre (or is it 40 litre?) bag. The
stuff is very dark in colour. It has a fine and reasonably even
texture. It is beautifully friable and smells earthy. I have started
using it as a mulch.

Does any urgler have any experience of similarly produced compost? If
so, would he/she care to share her/his experience?

Franz

I have just put 10 bags on my garden as mulch the only problem I have had

is that it dries out quite quickly and then it is easily blown about
especially by the flymow. My main worry is how much conifer is in the mix
and will it be toxic to some plants. It has been down a month and so far no
sign of problems.
Diane

Old 24-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Franz Heymann

"Diane Epps" wrote in message

[...]

I agree about the drying out and blowing about. It is probanly due to
the fine texrure. This is not so bad as to be a nuisance.
Perhaps we should compare notes in the late summer, by which time we
will have seen whether it has been worth while.

Franz

Old 25-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Glen Able

[...]

I wonder if they sell different grades of compost like they do here (Oxon)?
They sort it by size and sell the fine stuff as compost and the bigger bits
as mulch, which I imagine would be like using bark chippings, if less
attractive.

Old 25-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"Glen Able" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the tip. I will make enquiries.

Franz