Old 24-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Paul D.Smith

Default Horse Manure

Quick question, after composting down, what does this look like? I ask
because I've been composting some since last year and although it doesn't
smell, there is still clearly some straw in there and it is brown rather
than black. Does this indicate it didn't compost well (not surprising since
I'm learning the art of "balancing" a compost heap) or is this the expected
result?

Thanks,
Paul DS.
--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old 24-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Paul
D.Smith writes
Quick question, after composting down, what does this look like? I ask
because I've been composting some since last year and although it doesn't
smell, there is still clearly some straw in there and it is brown rather
than black. Does this indicate it didn't compost well (not surprising since
I'm learning the art of "balancing" a compost heap) or is this the expected
result?

Well matured horse manure has little or no smell. Yours sounds as if it
did not heat up enough in the early stages of composting, but not to
worry, it can be used as it is, and it will complete the process of bio-
degrading in good time. If applying it to a growing area, keep it clear
of plant stems, and if necessary in this dry spell, moisten it after
spreading it.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 25-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Paul D.Smith

[snip]
Thanks for the info. I'll keep experimenting ;-).

Paul DS.