Old 24-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Default Garlic harvesting time

Hi,

My garlic plants are getting brown and dry but the top flower has not
appeared yet.

When should I harvest Garlic please?

Rajinder

Old 25-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Gary Woods

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote:

My garlic plants are getting brown and dry but the top flower has not
appeared yet.

When should I harvest Garlic please?

If it isn't hardneck, it won't produce the scape on top. If the tops are
brown, it's time to harvest and probably then some.

Old 25-05-2004, 08:08 PM
ajr

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message
Hi,

My garlic plants are getting brown and dry but the top flower has not
appeared yet.

When should I harvest Garlic please?

Rajinder

Rajinder,

A friend of my Mum's told me to plant on the shortest day of the year, and
lift on the longest - ie 21 June.

Probably an old wife's tale, but it worked last year!

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 25-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:35:38 +0100, "ajr" wrote:

A friend of my Mum's told me to plant on the shortest day of the year, and
lift on the longest - ie 21 June.

I understood this rule to apply to shallots. To do best in our
climate, garlic needs to be planted in Autumn. Mid-June harvest date
is OK.

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Gary Woods

"ajr" wrote:

Probably an old wife's tale, but it worked last year!

Works for only limited latitudes and climates; your mileage may vary; best
to ask a grower local to you. Harvesting best done by maturity of the
plants rather than a specific dates, unless your seasons are far more
repeatable than mine!

Old 27-05-2004, 04:52 PM
D Russell

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message
Hi,

My garlic plants are getting brown and dry but the top flower has not
appeared yet.

When should I harvest Garlic please?

Rajinder

The old adage was plant it on the shortest day and harvest on the longest.
Having said that if it's brown it's not going to grow much more anyway so
maybe now's a good time. It's also only 25 days to the longest day.
Duncan