Old 27-05-2004, 10:59 AM
Registered User

Location: London
Default White hopping things on my houseplant

I have a houseplant which has little white things - not sure what they are called living in the soil around the plant - they are not actually on the plant itself. This plant likes a lot of water - and each time i water it, these little white things hop around madly - they seem to thrive on damp compost.
I am rather clueless (when it comes to gardening) so could anyone tell me what these things are - are they whitefly, aphids, or something else.
And any tips on how to get rid of them - without killing the plant obviously. I've tried some pesticide but they seem to be resistant.

Many thanks
Old 27-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Edwin Spector

Probably springtails, which are apparently harmless (or so I read here).

Edwin
Bath.
Old 27-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Paul D.Smith

Sounds like them OK. Some very diluted washing up liquid (as a spray) can
get rid of them or a chemical pest control. The latter only needs to be a
weak solution since it won't "wash away into the soil" like it would
outside.

Paul DS.

Old 27-05-2004, 05:33 PM
Edwin Spector

Hopping pests tathraman Australia 19 22-01-2011 11:23 AM
HELP. I have hopping shrimp like bugs in my garden flyingelephant United Kingdom 16 18-11-2008 10:50 PM
Things are happening-things are quiet spakker United Kingdom 17 07-06-2005 01:05 AM
white things on my plant chaz Gardening 6 22-06-2004 08:02 AM
White wiggling things in Starbucks bags hrafndot United Kingdom 17 20-08-2003 10:12 AM