Old 09-06-2004, 02:36 PM
chaz

Default white things on my plant

i have a small christmas tree like plant that has white webby looking things
in the branches. obviously a pest i just dont know what ?

chaz

Old 09-06-2004, 03:02 PM

tent caterpillars.

Bad Bob wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:27:40 -0400, "chaz" wrote:

i have a small christmas tree like plant that has white webby looking things
in the branches. obviously a pest i just dont know what ?

chaz

Spittlebug?

Bad Bob

"Cook him till he's blue,
and smother him in onions."

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

wrote in message
tent caterpillars.

Tent caterpillars are unlikely to bother "small christmas tree like" plants
(coniferous evergreens), but it might very well be spider mites, specially
if the plant in question is a dwarf Alberta spruce. There are also a few
varieties of webworms that can infest conifers. Hard to be more precise
without a photo or better description of the problem and how the tree is
growing/location.

pam - gardengal

Bad Bob wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:27:40 -0400, "chaz" wrote:

i have a small christmas tree like plant that has white webby looking

things
in the branches. obviously a pest i just dont know what ?

chaz

Spittlebug?

Bad Bob

"Cook him till he's blue,
and smother him in onions."

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 10-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Stew Corman

"chaz" wrote in message ...
i have a small christmas tree like plant that has white webby looking things
in the branches. obviously a pest i just dont know what ?

chaz

I have had what I think is the same infestation for many years ..it
does not seem to hurt the ornamental evergreens. A mild spray of
Dursban gets rid of it, but they are in every nook and crany. The
leads of spider mite and spittlebug do NOT fit the description. What I
am looking at are very tiny pure white oval "fly specks" maybe 1/8
inch long, that are fuzzy around the edges ( no obvious legs, but
numerous "hairs") and congregate at crotches in shady places. At first
glance it looks like lichen growing, but on closer examination ,
individual bugs are evident.

Any more reference would be appreciated.

TIA,
Stew Corman
Old 10-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Elaine Wald

"Stew Corman" wrote in message
om...

I have had what I think is the same infestation for many years ..it
does not seem to hurt the ornamental evergreens. A mild spray of
Dursban gets rid of it, but they are in every nook and crany. The
leads of spider mite and spittlebug do NOT fit the description. What I
am looking at are very tiny pure white oval "fly specks" maybe 1/8
inch long, that are fuzzy around the edges ( no obvious legs, but
numerous "hairs") and congregate at crotches in shady places. At first
glance it looks like lichen growing, but on closer examination ,
individual bugs are evident.

Any more reference would be appreciated.

TIA,
Stew Corman

sounds like scale crawlers to me

Old 10-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Stew Corman

"Elaine Wald" ____________________ wrote in message ...
"Stew Corman" wrote in message
om...

I have had what I think is the same infestation for many years ..it
does not seem to hurt the ornamental evergreens. A mild spray of
Dursban gets rid of it, but they are in every nook and crany. The
leads of spider mite and spittlebug do NOT fit the description. What I
am looking at are very tiny pure white oval "fly specks" maybe 1/8
inch long, that are fuzzy around the edges ( no obvious legs, but
numerous "hairs") and congregate at crotches in shady places. At first
glance it looks like lichen growing, but on closer examination ,
individual bugs are evident.

Any more reference would be appreciated.

TIA,
Stew Corman

sounds like scale crawlers to me

did some searches and I agree with your conclusion ...probably "pine
needle scale" if not, then a close cousin

should I spray with Dursban or are other insecticides better?
Is a little "simple green" good to mix in solution to make it a better
wetting solution?
I presume a low doseage will get the little buggers, trick is to reach
them all.

Thanks,
Stew Corman
Old 22-06-2004, 08:02 AM
gary davis

On 6/9/04 7:17 AM, in article m_Exc.4900$jw.3046@attbi_s04, "Pam -
gardengal" wrote:

wrote in message
tent caterpillars.

Tent caterpillars are unlikely to bother "small christmas tree like" plants
(coniferous evergreens), but it might very well be spider mites, specially
if the plant in question is a dwarf Alberta spruce. There are also a few
varieties of webworms that can infest conifers. Hard to be more precise
without a photo or better description of the problem and how the tree is
growing/location.

pam - gardengal

Pam-a thoughtful reply and yes we need more info.

Bad Bob wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:27:40 -0400, "chaz" wrote:

i have a small christmas tree like plant that has white webby looking

things
in the branches. obviously a pest i just dont know what ?

chaz

Spittlebug?

Bad Bob

"Cook him till he's blue,