Old 30-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Kay Easton

Default Mare'- tail.

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes
Hear hear. It would be even better if all taxonomists found

something
else to do.

Now that I really must take issue with!
What taxonomists are trying to do is establish the 'family tree' for
plants (or animals) - which in turn is the basis for many

similarities
of properties and underpins a good deal of botany, horticulture and
agriculture.

Indeed. But they get it wrong far too often.

I don't think changing of names is the same as 'getting it wrong'. It's
about reacting to increases in knowledge

Why don't they just
leave it to the DNA wallahs to sort things?

Well, that's only been round as an option for 25 years or so.
Taxonomists got an awful long way before that.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 01-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Victoria Clare

Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article , RichardS
noaccess@invalid.? writes
"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
8.240.10...
Maybe we should use the biographer's convention:

"Anemonella thalictroides (as she then was)..."

"Dorotheanthus bellidiformis (as she now is)"

Or refer to them as the cumbersome:

Dorotheanthus bellidiformis (nee Anemonella thalictroides)

:-)

.. except that the usual term is 'syn'

which is fine, as long as you know both/all the names.

I'd should point out for the benefit of anyone browsing future archives
that:

Dorotheanthus bellidiformis is *not* the same as Anemonella
thalictroides.

They were just a couple of names of rebadged plants that came to mind -
should have made that clearer!

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Eradicating Mare's Tail Emrys Davies United Kingdom 21 20-08-2007 11:58 AM
Mare's tail Pam Moore United Kingdom 9 09-09-2006 11:10 PM
mares tail , horse tail David Hill United Kingdom 0 01-02-2004 11:20 PM
tail eaters BErney1014 Ponds 6 15-04-2003 12:32 AM
Tail Regeneration on Koi Pickmaster Ponds 2 04-04-2003 03:32 PM