Old 28-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Nige

Default Willow or Hazel?

Can someone remind me, is it Willow or Hazel that take root and grow if
you plant a stick in the ground? Or both, or neither?

--
Nige

Please replace YYYY with the current year
Old 28-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Brian

"Nige" wrote in message
Can someone remind me, is it Willow or Hazel that take root and grow if
you plant a stick in the ground? Or both, or neither?

--
Nige

Please replace YYYY with the current year

Only the Willows can be struck this way.
Regards Brian

Old 28-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Nige
writes
Can someone remind me, is it Willow or Hazel that take root and grow if
you plant a stick in the ground? Or both, or neither?

Willow.

Hazel is reputedly hard to grow from cuttings. That said, a hazel stick
I pushed into a fence has some remarkably green looking leaves at the
top ..
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 30-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Ian Cundell

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Nige
writes
Can someone remind me, is it Willow or Hazel that take root and grow if
you plant a stick in the ground? Or both, or neither?

Willow.

And Tamarisk, as I found out a couple of years ago when setting up a cat
scratching post.

Hazel is reputedly hard to grow from cuttings. That said, a hazel stick
I pushed into a fence has some remarkably green looking leaves at the
top ..

--
"Noah's Ark is a problem...We'll have to call
it early quantum state phenomenon--
Old 06-10-2004, 07:58 PM
alan holmes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Nige
writes
Can someone remind me, is it Willow or Hazel that take root and grow if
you plant a stick in the ground? Or both, or neither?

Willow.

Hazel is reputedly hard to grow from cuttings. That said, a hazel stick
I pushed into a fence has some remarkably green looking leaves at the
top ..

That's interesting, I would like to move a Hazel I planted a long time
ago in the wrong place!

I'll have to try planting a stick and see what happens, is there a
particular time of year to do that?

Alan

Old 07-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Martin Sykes

"alan holmes" dont.bother.see.sig@bottom wrote in message
That's interesting, I would like to move a Hazel I planted a long time
ago in the wrong place!

I'll have to try planting a stick and see what happens, is there a
particular time of year to do that?

Alan

I've got a filbert (corylus maxima) which I think is much the same as a
hazel (corylus avelana) . It sends up dozens of shoots every year and they
*always* grow on successfully if you cut them off with a bit of root
attached. I've never managed to get a normal cutting to root though.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )