Old 30-05-2004, 11:11 PM
jimmy

Default Tomatoes

Hi,

This is my first year of trying to grow tomatoes in a greenhouse. So far
things seem to be going well, the plants are in growbags and seem to be
thriving. I have not fed them yet because the food says to wait until the
"first fruit has set" before feeding. I am not sure what this means
exactly - the plants are beginning to flower but should I wait until I see
small tomatoes forming?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 31-05-2004, 02:13 AM
Alan Gabriel

"jimmy" wrote in message
Hi,

This is my first year of trying to grow tomatoes in a greenhouse. So far
things seem to be going well, the plants are in growbags and seem to be
thriving. I have not fed them yet because the food says to wait until the
"first fruit has set" before feeding. I am not sure what this means
exactly - the plants are beginning to flower but should I wait until I see
small tomatoes forming?

Yes.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Douglas

"jimmy" wrote in message
Hi,

This is my first year of trying to grow tomatoes in a greenhouse. So far
things seem to be going well, the plants are in growbags and seem to be
thriving. I have not fed them yet because the food says to wait until the
"first fruit has set" before feeding. I am not sure what this means
exactly - the plants are beginning to flower but should I wait until I see
small tomatoes forming?

Thanks,

Jim

************
Righto! Jim lad! , I have built-up beds in my greenhouse, - it's easier on
my poor back and I change the soil with a new mix to a foot down about
every four years, - But forget all that.
Growbags are OK for tomatoes I've used them plenty. You can use just water
if you have the technical knowledge , - but I don't like that. You can grow
them in a 12inch pot stood on a 6inch tray of gravel
but you'll get the same result with your growbag.
Rightyho! - here's The Life Of The Tomato plant.

Plant the seedling, (stake each plant with canes,) one per plant, two per
growbag I know it says three but, they want to sell growbags, - don't
they?.
Water the bag and see that there are little holes around the middle of the
bag half way up to relieve possible drenching. Some people don't bother so
don't you bother , either way will do.
The better and more expensive growbags are already primed with fertiliser
but don't worry, you can do it yourself when doing normal watering.
Ventilate the house during the day and close down at night. Have a High-low
thermometer hanging up but shaded from sunlight. It's not too important but
its nice to know the Temp. Makes you feel more in control of things.
The plant will grow. At about a foot high a flower raceme will appear.
All's well so far.
You can if you like give the plant a feed but don't get too enthusiastic , -
a quite weak dose of Phostrogen will do at this stage. Tie the plant very
loosely to the cane with brown string
(1, because that stem is going to get quite fat later on.
(2. .Because the string is cheap, easy to use and the first knot stays
tight until you fix the second knot.
The plant will grow to between one and a half to two feet and then stem will
split. It wants to grow two stems. Snip off the weakest one, you are going
to grow only one stem.
As it grows more, racemes of flowers appear, then once more the stem
splits, - So you know what to do. Careful! - don't clip the whole plant off.
Don't laff, I've done it in my time
Eventually the plant is nearly fully grown and from the first appearance of
the first flowers you have been feeding with fertiliser from very weak to
slightly increasing doses BUT between doses you water to keep the plant
alive.
Now hear this, - the dam thing wants to have branches so it starts shoots
just above some of the leaves where the leaf stalk meets the main stem. As
the plant grows new branches are beggars for hiding themselves and you'll do
the same as all of us and grow all pappy quite longish interlopers before
you espy them., - so join the club.
There are a quite a lot of leaves in there!
When the plants are carrying five separate bunches of tomatoes you snip out
the top of the plant roughly about two nodes above the top flowers.
You are now at the pinnacle of growth and you are feeding more freely - but
don't get excited and overdo it.
Look at the stems; fat ones are ok but if further up they thin off too much,
more than you think can be good , (Every plant stalk thins slightly as it
grows upwards) so increase slightly the fertiliser strength.
As the plants get near the top, you can, using your judgement, (don't
panic,- it becomes apparent to you).
You start systematically as the fruit develops snipping of the lower
leaves to let light in on the fruit and yet again your judgement will not
fail you. Some people just snap them off with thumb and finger and that's
OK if you use care.

One morning you will go to open up and there near the bottom is a tomatoe
nice and ripe and red. Your very First of the year! Promise me you will do
this, - pick the tomato, wipe it clean. Don't rush to the house to gain a
Brownie badge. No! that first tomatoe is yours alone, it belongs to you .
You have earned it sonny-boy, by hard work, dedication and long tradition,,
so here's what you do . You stand up straight, put the fruit to your mouth,
bite in, suck the juice, relish it, then slowly chew the succulent flesh!.
And you say to yourself,........ *I* grew this!.
I will say no more. Happiness is in a garden and a greenhouse is an extra
blessing.
There have been times when I have not known which way to turn but when you
enter a greenhouse it is a haven. It's nice and warm, which relaxes mind
and body. You see something to do at once. You start,
- your concentration excludes and bans outside worries. Your mind is
solaced.
You eventually leave that greenhouse with all the confidence you had
previously lost.
Preaching? I wont go into that but fr'one instance I was having my house
sold over my head....but I won't go into that either, - we are talking
gardening here.
Jim!, You lucky guy! - you got yourself a greenhouse! .
Enjoy!
Doug.
*************

Old 01-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Shirl

"Douglas" wrote in message
************
[...]

, -
[...]

Well im not Jim but I wanted to just say thanks for taking the time to write
that informative reply. Its just what I was looking for as im a first time
gardener too :-)

Regards

Shirl

Old 01-06-2004, 08:10 PM
jimmy

"Douglas" wrote in message

snip

Jim!, You lucky guy! - you got yourself a greenhouse! .
Enjoy!
Doug.
*************

Thanks very much for the informative reply Doug. I am enjoying the
greenhouse very much so far and will follow your advice over the course of
the summer. Looking forward to that first tomato!

Jim

Old 01-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Douglas

"Shirl" wrote in message

"Douglas" wrote in message
************
[...]

..
[...]

**************
*Most* kind, - *most*kind!, Ma-am!. Thank you very kindly!.
A few further observations,
1. The tomatoes I wrote about are the ones you normally grow, not the bushy
ones, though the small cherry tomatoes like Gardeners Delight are OK for
that process.
2. Whatever size greenhouse you decide to install you will find it becomes
too small.
8ftx8ft (stop going "Sh-hee-eesh! missis!), is very handy, I'll say no
more.
3. For the final feed before heavy picking I do as my Dad did before me.
I go to the fields or commons where sheep graze and collect a -quarter-
bucketful or less,- (don't get greedy,) - of what dad used to call "sheepsh"
Take it home and put the sheepsh into a small sack. Tie the top up fairly
tightly, Put the sack into the bucket and fill the bucket to three quarters
full with water. Let it stand covered for a fortnight or over in the bucket
and store it at the far end of the garden.
Three quarters of the way through the tomato plant's life start adding a
feed now and then with a small dose of the (my dad called it "Tank",)
liquid, DILUTED with water to a PALE STRAW colour.
After a few days compare the taste of a ripe tomato to one you have tasted
before.
Alright, feed a couple of plants with the mixture and then you will be able
to compare with the remaining plants, and make your decision on how to
proceed. I use it every year.
4. If you grow in soil in the greenhouse don't grow in the same soil year
after year. I have set myself a limit of four years.
5. In order of preference for table eating I grow each year,- 3 Shirley,
2 Money Maker, 1 Alicante. and one Gardener's Delight. my wife and are
quite popular in early autumn and we have a Neice, - a lovely woman who does
all the housework. She looks after us so we look after her with extras.
This year I also have a gift plant called Cossack which is a syn. with
Shirley, I am told. I buy small starter plants from a reputable Nursery, I
avoid market stalls and casual small street shops like bakers, newsagents
etc.; once all my Shirleys came out wrong and when picked tasted horrid. I
don't plant them in the greenhouse too early or when a lot of frost is about
in the evenings. Don't worry if you are a bit late, - when the weather
smartens itself up the plants will get away nicely especially if they have
nor been weather strained. Don't get them too leggy though. That's not good.
6. An automatic skylight opener is a good buy.
7. Keep your greenhouse warmish without extra heat but don't close up when
the inside is muggy, - even when it's coolish outside. Keep it airy as best
you can. if it gets hottish ventilate as best possible but don't panic . 100
degrees will not harm anything if the cultivation is without difficulties.
People in the Isle of Wight can't escape that temperature and look at their
cucumbers! up the sides and all over the inside top. And just look at all
those massed 'cumbers hanging down!.
Tarrah for now, - I have enjoyed talking to you. I have reminisced a little
, (and my Dad, - I have remembered,- he lived with us for thirteen years.)-
so that's good, isn't it.
Best wishes to all!.
Doug.