Old 31-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Graham Dixon

Default Foxglove question

I have a Foxglove that has appeared in my border - self seeded, we back on
to fields. It seems to be a single plant with two main flowering spikes -
however one spike has the usual deep purple flower whilst the other spike is
covered in cream coloured flowers - is this a common phenomenum?

Graham

Old 31-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Robert

Graham Dixon wrote:
: I have a Foxglove that has appeared in my border - self seeded, we
: back on to fields. It seems to be a single plant with two main
: flowering spikes - however one spike has the usual deep purple flower
: whilst the other spike is covered in cream coloured flowers - is this
: a common phenomenum?
:
: Graham

I've never seen it before and I grow them every year, perhaps it's a sport

Old 01-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Douglas

"Robert" wrote in message
Graham Dixon wrote:
: I have a Foxglove that has appeared in my border - self seeded, we
: back on to fields. It seems to be a single plant with two main
: flowering spikes - however one spike has the usual deep purple flower
: whilst the other spike is covered in cream coloured flowers - is this
: a common phenomenum?
:
: Graham

I've never seen it before and I grow them every year, perhaps it's a sport

*******************
You mean it's amusing and easy to get on with?. . .
Only joking!.
Doug.
*******************

Old 01-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Anna Kettle

: I have a Foxglove that has appeared in my border - self seeded, we
: back on to fields. It seems to be a single plant with two main
: flowering spikes - however one spike has the usual deep purple flower
: whilst the other spike is covered in cream coloured flowers - is this
: a common phenomenum?

Foxgloves have just opened in my new (to me) garden and three quarters
of them are cream. I'd never noticed cream foxgloves before so I
suspect they have been selected. I wonder if they are the sort of
plant where you have to pull out the purple ones or they will revert.
Anyone know?

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Old 01-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Spider

Anna Kettle wrote in message
: I have a Foxglove that has appeared in my border - self seeded, we
: back on to fields. It seems to be a single plant with two main
: flowering spikes - however one spike has the usual deep purple flower
: whilst the other spike is covered in cream coloured flowers - is this
: a common phenomenum?

Foxgloves have just opened in my new (to me) garden and three quarters
of them are cream. I'd never noticed cream foxgloves before so I
suspect they have been selected. I wonder if they are the sort of
plant where you have to pull out the purple ones or they will revert.
Anyone know?

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc

Hello Anna,
Yes, they can revert if you are not selective, although I believe some
'alba' types are bred to be more stable.
When selecting young plants, look for purely green stems. The true purpurea
forms usually have a pinkish cast to their stems.
Spider

Old 01-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Paul Taylor

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 16:12:18 +0100, Spider wrote:

[...]

The last couple of years I had some of the purple foxgloves you see in the
wild appear in one of my beds and I left them to flower and seed. At the
beginning of this year I collected up about 15 to 20 plants, and
repositioned them in another bed beneath some trees. I expected to get 15
to 20 purple foxgloves, but so far have managed to get a pink one and a
pure white one, which was a little suprising. Can purple foxgloves produce
white/pink ones naturally? Or is it more likely that the white foxgloves
seeds have found their way into my garden?

Regards,

Paul.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:11 AM
Anna Kettle

Yes, they can revert if you are not selective, although I believe some
'alba' types are bred to be more stable.
When selecting young plants, look for purely green stems. The true purpurea
forms usually have a pinkish cast to their stems.

Right then its "off with their heads"

Old 05-06-2004, 11:38 PM
Anna Kettle

To revert to the OP's question, I've just been culling my purple
foxgoves and I too found one plant which had a white and a purple
stalk. Maybe its a good year for them!