Old 05-06-2004, 11:13 AM
martin

Default Fern health risk ?

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 21:06:16 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

I'll have mine without the ticks please )

Coward! - see for more ideas...

http://www.edible.com/htmlsite/prod_list.asp?catID=1

YUK!
Old 05-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

If the recent examination of pathological specimens is anything to go
by, you may have reason to eat those words.

The recent examination produced two positive results out of 12,000
cases AFAIR. It was made clear at the time, that when the agent is
identified as present, it does not necessarily lead to a case of nCJD.
In the meantime, nobody who has eaten meat/meat products in UK in the
last ten years is allowed to be a blood donor in the Netherlands.
Is the same true in UK and if not why not?

IIRC there was a significant percentage of dodgy prions, not 2:12,000.
(The number ·36% keeps presenting itself.)

The phrase 'possible epidemic' was used. (Though I'm not sure that the
word 'epidemic' is quite accurate unless caniballism becomes de rigeur
[mortis?].)

This, BTW, was a very recent finding.

AFAIK there is no restriction on carnivorous UK blood donors, and as for
'why not?', there is a shortage of blood donors as it is, especially now
they've found 'blood antibodies' in mine and thanked me for past
galleons donated....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 05-06-2004, 03:07 PM
martin

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 12:18:04 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

[...]

There is shortage of blood donors everywhere.
If the medical authorities abroad, think there's a chance of
transmitting nCJD via UK blood, then the same is true in UK.
I find most of the CJD thing hard to take seriously.
According to expert forecasts, by now UK should be looking like it did
during the Black Death.

The persisting cold wet weather also makes global warming hard to
believe

Old 05-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

The persisting cold wet weather also makes global warming hard to
believe

Eee, when I were lad the snowdrops and aconites didn't appear until
February. We get them before Christmas, now.

A lot of birds are laying (eggs) three weeks earlier than fifty years ago.

On April 30th 1948 it snowed. And settled. And the almond tree outside
my bedroom window (in flower) was a visual haiku with its white capping.

I remember the sea freezing at Southend. (Probably 1947/8)

Old 05-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin wrote:

I find most of the CJD thing hard to take seriously.
According to expert forecasts, by now UK should be looking like it did
during the Black Death.

You have misunderstood. When the balloon went up, and the fact that
MAFF had created a new disease became public, the epidemiologists
did the best they could with the available data. And the estimates
really were from tens of deaths up to millions. Nobody knew how
infectious it was.

We still don't, but the bounds are more like hundreds to tens of
thousands. The latter is very unlikely, but not impossible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Rhiannon S

Subject: Fern health risk ?
From: martin
Date: 05/06/2004 17:49 GMT Daylight Time
On 5 Jun 2004 16:36:07 GMT,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
martin wrote:

I find most of the CJD thing hard to take seriously.
According to expert forecasts, by now UK should be looking like it did
during the Black Death.

You have misunderstood. When the balloon went up, and the fact that
MAFF had created a new disease became public, the epidemiologists
did the best they could with the available data. And the estimates
really were from tens of deaths up to millions. Nobody knew how
infectious it was.

In that case they would have done better to keep their expert mouths
well shut, until they did.

Extrapolating from 10 cases or whatever it was then, may have produced
research funding and fame, but it also killed the British beef
industry.

Better that than keeping their mouths shut, if it did turn out that the higher
figure was more likely.

As I understand it there was a real possibility (from data collected) that
millions could die. In that scenario something had to be done to limit the
infections. Going on the information they had then, they made the right
choice.

--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Old 05-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

AFAIK there is no restriction on carnivorous UK blood donors,

Vegetarians and carnivores who received a UK blood transfusion in the
80's are currently banned from donating blood in the UK.

Janet

Old 05-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The message
from martin contains these words:

The persisting cold wet weather also makes global warming hard to
believe

Not at all. The predicted effects of global warming *on temperate
maritime climates* will be, cooler cloudier windier weather in summer
and winter alike. Winters will be milder cloudier wetter and windier
than before, and so will summers.

Just about describes what we're seeing in Scotland.

Janet.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rhiannon S wrote:

[...]

That is precisely the point. The government was doing their level
best, not just to shut everyone up, but also to prevent any research
into it. There was little option but to cause a panic because, if
they had not done so, nothing would have been done. And they didn't
know whether it was as lethal as the Black Death.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:
The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

AFAIK there is no restriction on carnivorous UK blood donors,

Vegetarians and carnivores who received a UK blood transfusion in the
80's are currently banned from donating blood in the UK.

But IIRC that was because of aids.

Old 06-06-2004, 09:02 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:
The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

AFAIK there is no restriction on carnivorous UK blood donors,

Vegetarians and carnivores who received a UK blood transfusion in the
80's are currently banned from donating blood in the UK.

But IIRC that was because of aids.

You RIC -

"On Tuesday 16th March 2004, the Department of Health's announced that
anyone who has received a blood transfusion in the UK since 1980 will no
longer be able to give blood. This additional donor selection criterion
will be implemented by all four of the UK Blood Services on 5th April
2004.

This step is a further precautionary measure against the possible risk
of vCJD being transmitted by blood and blood products. This also comes
in the light of the first possible transmission of vCJD by blood
transfusion, as reported in December 2003."

from http://www.blood.co.uk/press_release...%20release.doc

--
dave @ stejonda

Bring Performance Channel back to NTL.