Old 05-06-2004, 04:14 PM
ian

Default Chafer Beetle

In the area of South Liverpool where we live, the Chafer beetle seems to
have taken a foothold. Many gardens are infested with consequential lawn
damage. I had hoped we were being lucky, but recently our lawns have shown
signs of distress and we have seen the beetles on both front and back lawns
(no signs of the grub, just the beetles). We have a reasonably sized rear
garden making a thorough inspection difficult.

The company we use for lawn feeds and weed killing cannot offer a solution,
saying that all the previously used chemicals have been banned.

Can anyone please suggest a course of action?

Old 05-06-2004, 04:15 PM
martin

http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/gre...tle_larvae.htm
Old 05-06-2004, 05:08 PM
ian

Thanks for the info. I had heard about the nemotode solution but don't know
how successful it has been. Looking at the site however it appears that
this is not available until summer. Given that the nemotodes only attack
the larvae, when would the best treatment time be? The limit would appear
to be the minimum suggested soil temp of 14C. Would the nemotodes survive
until the grubs develop from the eggs that are being laid at present?

Thanks

Ian.

wrote:

In the area of South Liverpool where we live, the Chafer beetle seems to
have taken a foothold. Many gardens are infested with consequential lawn
damage. I had hoped we were being lucky, but recently our lawns have

shown
signs of distress and we have seen the beetles on both front and back

lawns
(no signs of the grub, just the beetles). We have a reasonably sized

rear
garden making a thorough inspection difficult.

The company we use for lawn feeds and weed killing cannot offer a

solution,
saying that all the previously used chemicals have been banned.

Can anyone please suggest a course of action?

http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/gre...seases/chafer_
beetle_larvae.htm

Old 05-06-2004, 05:12 PM
ian

Thanks for the info. I had heard about the nematode solution but don't know
how successful it has been. Looking at the site however it appears that
this is not available until summer. Given that the nematodes only attack
the larvae, when would the best treatment time be? The limit would appear
to be the minimum suggested soil temp of 14C. Would the nematodes survive