Old 13-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Martin Sykes

Default Natural Chafer Grub Control

I've got quite a serious infestation of chafer grubs in my front lawn which
is apparently quite a common problem on recently developed arable farmland.
I'd like to let the problem fix itself naturally which apparently it should
do now that the grass is kept short and the starlings are doing some
sterling work digging them up and eating them.

Does anyone know how long it typically takes for the problem to resolve
itself?

--
Martin & Anna Sykes

Old 13-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains these words:

I've got quite a serious infestation of chafer grubs in my front lawn which
is apparently quite a common problem on recently developed arable farmland.
I'd like to let the problem fix itself naturally which apparently it should
do now that the grass is kept short and the starlings are doing some
sterling work digging them up and eating them.

Does anyone know how long it typically takes for the problem to resolve
itself?

No, sorry, but FWIW our long established lawns are heavily infested
with chafer grubs this year. It's our first summer here so I don't know
how usual that is for this garden.

You can encourage starlings to attend regularly with a small scattering
of wheat/corn.

Janet

Old 14-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Martin Sykes
writes
I've got quite a serious infestation of chafer grubs in my front lawn which
is apparently quite a common problem on recently developed arable farmland.
I'd like to let the problem fix itself naturally which apparently it should
do now that the grass is kept short and the starlings are doing some
sterling work digging them up and eating them.

Does anyone know how long it typically takes for the problem to resolve
itself?

I know with leather jackets you can cover the lawn with a black plastic
sheet overnight and they come to the surface. In the morning you lift
the sheet and sweep up the grubs. Don't know if it will work with chafer
grubs, though

If you have a large lawn then you can do it sections at a time.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,