Old 10-06-2004, 02:56 AM
Adrian

Default Lupins

Dear all,

We've sucessfully grown a large number of lupins from seed and I see
the instructions say not to plant out until Sept. Internet searches
also confirm this.

Frustratingly nobody says why! Can anyone enligten me?

Thanks,

Adrian.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:58 AM
Victoria Clare

Adrian wrote in
news
Dear all,

We've sucessfully grown a large number of lupins from seed and I see
the instructions say not to plant out until Sept. Internet searches
also confirm this.

Frustratingly nobody says why! Can anyone enligten me?

Lupins are very vulnerable to slug/snail attack, and you can lose an entire
sowing overnight (happened to me :-().

Could it be that the idea is to keep them in a slug-free environment till
they are quite big and fully hardened off so they stand a better chance of
surviving?

Incidentally, tree lupins are much tougher and don't suffer from slugs
anything like as much. I've grown a blue-flowering one that's covered in
blooms at the moment, and has a fantastic scent (but they are quite
variable - another plant from the same packet has rather dull yellow
flowers, and no scent at all :-(.)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 10-06-2004, 02:58 AM
Kate Morgan

We've sucessfully grown a large number of lupins from seed and I see
the instructions say not to plant out until Sept. Internet searches
also confirm this.

Frustratingly nobody says why! Can anyone enligten me?

Lupins are very vulnerable to slug/snail attack, and you can lose an entire
sowing overnight (happened to me :-().

Could it be that the idea is to keep them in a slug-free environment till
they are quite big and fully hardened off so they stand a better chance of
surviving?

I keep mine in big pots overwinter and plant out the next year, seems
to work for me :-)
kate
Old 10-06-2004, 02:59 AM
Just Molly

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.209...
[...]

I have the solution . Plant the lupins and get a couple of indian runner or
call ducks to eat the slugs. Works for me :0)

Mildew on Lupins Janice United Kingdom 0 11-07-2003 03:44 PM
Deadhead lupins? Tumbleweed United Kingdom 2 08-07-2003 12:43 AM
Lupins keeling over! Pickle United Kingdom 3 12-05-2003 02:22 PM
Lupins keeling over! Pickle United Kingdom 3 12-05-2003 12:20 PM
tree lupins and slugs Victoria Clare United Kingdom 0 24-03-2003 10:44 AM