Old 10-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Dan Keeley

Default First earlies gone flat?

Hi,

All my first earlies went flat today, looks like they've had it in one day
of strong sun!

Is there any rescueing them? I'll give them a good water tonight when it's a
bit colder...

Also, whats best, night or morning watering?

Thanks!
Dan

Old 10-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Rod

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:14:49 +0100, "Dan Keeley"
wrote:

Hi,

All my first earlies went flat today, looks like they've had it in one day
of strong sun!

Is there any rescueing them? I'll give them a good water tonight when it's a
bit colder...

Also, whats best, night or morning watering?

Thanks!
Dan

It's not one day of strong sun, here in N. Wales it's been weeks of
dry weather, the sun of the last day or two has just been the last
straw. Get *lots* of water on. Time of day doesn't matter much except
less will be lost by evaporation with evening watering. If scorching
or 'scalding' was worrying you - this is much less likely if you get
the foliage thoroughly wetted. If your hose has been left out in the
sun, water standing in the hose will be very hot so run that off
before you start watering. The weight of water on the flaccid foliage
will pull the stems over - don't worry about it, they won't mind.
Heavy watering about 10 days before lifting will greatly increase the
yield - if you can't water very frequently then that's the time when
using your limited water/time will have the most effect.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old 10-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dan Keeley wrote:
Hi,

All my first earlies went flat today, looks like they've had it in one day
of strong sun!

Is there any rescueing them? I'll give them a good water tonight when it's a
bit colder...

Unless they got hot enough to kill their leaves, then they will perk
up. Your strategy is, of course, the right one - but don't worry
too much about when you water.

Also, whats best, night or morning watering?

Dunno. But watering that gets done is better than watering that
doesn't ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.