Old 10-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Martin

Default These roots what are they ?

Hello,
Been digging in a garden about 18" down and found some long pencil thick
roots running horizontally.. I broke one and its orange/yellow in colour.

Anyone have any ideas what these roots could be ?
The only plants/shrubs in the vicinity are about 5 ft away. These are
paeony, lupins,rhododendrons and rhubarb.

Also there is possibly some unseen bindweed in the area,this pops up
elsewhere in the garden during the Summer.

Martin

Old 10-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Kay

In article , Martin
writes
Hello,
Been digging in a garden about 18" down and found some long pencil thick
roots running horizontally.. I broke one and its orange/yellow in colour.

Anyone have any ideas what these roots could be ?
The only plants/shrubs in the vicinity are about 5 ft away. These are
paeony, lupins,rhododendrons and rhubarb.

Also there is possibly some unseen bindweed in the area,this pops up
elsewhere in the garden during the Summer.

Not bindweed. They are white. The yellow roots that I know are nettles
and mulberry. rom your selection I'd guess it was the rhodos.
--
Kay

Old 10-06-2004, 10:16 PM
tuin man

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Martin
writes
Hello,
Been digging in a garden about 18" down and found some long pencil thick
roots running horizontally.. I broke one and its orange/yellow in

colour.

Anyone have any ideas what these roots could be ?
The only plants/shrubs in the vicinity are about 5 ft away. These are
paeony, lupins,rhododendrons and rhubarb.

snip

Not bindweed. They are white. The yellow roots that I know are nettles
and mulberry.

And Berberis (any) and I'm not sure, but possibly snowberry.

patrick

Old 10-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Hello,
Been digging in a garden about 18" down and found some long pencil thick
roots running horizontally.. I broke one and its orange/yellow in colour.

Anyone have any ideas what these roots could be ?

Ash ? My neighbour's ash has yellow roots up to 15 metres distant from
the trunk. They are in deep soil but run horizontally about 18" from the
surface.

Janet

Old 10-06-2004, 11:18 PM
Douglas

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Martin contains these words:

Hello,
Been digging in a garden about 18" down and found some long pencil thick
roots running horizontally.. I broke one and its orange/yellow in

colour.

Anyone have any ideas what these roots could be ?

Ash ? My neighbour's ash has yellow roots up to 15 metres distant from
the trunk. They are in deep soil but run horizontally about 18" from the
surface.

Janet

You are probably lucky! it is not, - but could have been, - the dreaded
convolvulus, - the bane of my life.
Its roots are white and form a network about six inches under the soil.
Boy-oh-boy! - get one piece even less than half an inch into your garden and
you have a long-term problem, - especially if there are roots coming under
a double fence from the recently arrived Neighbours from Hell critter's
dump next door.
Doug.
*********