Old 11-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Wanted Hawk "dummy" bird!

The message
from "EddySon" contains these words:

I just wondered if anyone knows where I can purchase a dummy bird of prey.

You should find a selection of owls, hawks etc at an oldfashioned
hunting-shooting-fishing shop; try your local yellow pages to find one
of those. Failing that, Crocketts of Glasgow sell them. They are old
fashioned enough to oblige their customers in anyway they can :-)

Janet

Old 11-06-2004, 09:38 AM
Dermuid

"EddySon" wrote in message
I just wondered if anyone knows where I can purchase a dummy bird of prey.
I am a radio han and have a large aerial in the garden which unfortunatly
has become
the main meeting poin for loads of pidgeons. I was hoping that if I placed

dummy
bird of prey on the top it might solve the problem.
Thanks Ted

Put a dummy aerial up

Old 11-06-2004, 09:39 AM
Just Molly

"Mike" wrote in message

Or some old CD's with a hole drilled on one edge and suspended with

string.

Might cause interference to the RF signals. Remember the foils strips to
cause 'clutter' during WWII?

But CD's aren't made from metal are they?

Old 11-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:08:29 +0100, Just Molly wrote:

But CD's aren't made from metal are they?

Mostly polycarbonate but the very thin reflective coating is
Aluminium.

First hit on google with +cd +aluminium +reflective

http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technol.../rep_lines.htm

The thing to note is the fact that the playing side has a thick layer
of polycarbonate to protect the data. The label side a thin lacquer,
thus the label side is much more sensitive to damage.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 11-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Franz Heymann

"Just Molly" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

Or some old CD's with a hole drilled on one edge and suspended

with
string.

Might cause interference to the RF signals. Remember the foils

strips to
cause 'clutter' during WWII?

But CD's aren't made from metal are they?

The shiny surface is a thin layer of Aluminium

Franz

Old 11-06-2004, 09:43 AM
David Hill

You could try cutting out the shape of a flying hawk and suspending this
from a cord or wire...you will have to play around with cord and weights
underneath to keep it level, but we had one of these years ago and it worked
well keeping pigeons off a cabbage crop.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 11-06-2004, 09:43 AM
martin

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:25:15 +0100, "Just Molly"
wrote:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 07:55:12 +0100, "EddySon"
wrote:

I just wondered if anyone knows where I can purchase a dummy bird of

prey.
I am a radio han and have a large aerial in the garden which unfortunatly
has become
the main meeting poin for loads of pidgeons. I was hoping that if I

placed a
dummy
bird of prey on the top it might solve the problem.
Thanks Ted

As long as it doesn't attract crows to attack it and smash your aerial
in the process.

Actually some farmers fly hawk kites and these work very well.

Initially I would recommend stick a couple of the child's windmills,
you know the things they buy at the seaside. Light, cheap and very
effective.

Or some old CD's with a hole drilled on one edge and suspended with string.

which have zero effect.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:44 AM
martin

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 07:34:46 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Just Molly" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

Or some old CD's with a hole drilled on one edge and suspended

with
string.

Might cause interference to the RF signals. Remember the foils

strips to
cause 'clutter' during WWII?

But CD's aren't made from metal are they?

The shiny surface is a thin layer of Aluminium

Is this a record? :-)
Old 11-06-2004, 09:44 AM
martin

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:56:19 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 07:55:12 +0100, EddySon wrote:

I just wondered if anyone knows where I can purchase a dummy bird of
prey.

I think you can just use a silohette, doesn't need to be a 3D, full
colour 3D model. Would you hang about if you saw what you thought was
the shape of a tiger in the bushes?

In the UK?

They might get used to it over time though, so you may need to keep
moving it. Windmills might be better, nice shiny ones that catch the
light. Freebie AOL/Freeserve CDs hung around may work as well.

CDs have zero effect.