Old 11-06-2004, 12:02 PM
les

Default Crataegus Oxyacantha "Rosea Flore Pleno" (Hawthorn)

I would like to plant a Hawthorn tree in the centre of my lawn but I am
unsure which one to buy.

The Rosea Flore Pleno looks a very attractive tree but I would also like a
good display of red berries in the autumn. Does this variety produce red
berries? If not could someone recommend the best variety which will produce
flowers in the spring and red berries in the autumn.

Many thanks.

Les

Old 11-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Brian

"les" wrote in message
I would like to plant a Hawthorn tree in the centre of my lawn but I am
unsure which one to buy.

The Rosea Flore Pleno looks a very attractive tree but I would also like a
good display of red berries in the autumn. Does this variety produce red
berries? If not could someone recommend the best variety which will

produce
flowers in the spring and red berries in the autumn.

Many thanks.

Les
__________________

The double flowering 'Coccinea Plena' [Paul's Double Scarlet] does not
have berries.
There is the variety 'Punicea' which has single scarlet flowers. This
berries well.
Regards Brian.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Charlie Pridham

"les" wrote in message
I would like to plant a Hawthorn tree in the centre of my lawn but I am
unsure which one to buy.

The Rosea Flore Pleno looks a very attractive tree but I would also like a
good display of red berries in the autumn. Does this variety produce red
berries? If not could someone recommend the best variety which will

produce
flowers in the spring and red berries in the autumn.

Many thanks.

Les

I have it, and it does berry, but not always as well as the wild hedge
hawthorn.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Spider

les wrote in message
I would like to plant a Hawthorn tree in the centre of my lawn but I am
unsure which one to buy.

The Rosea Flore Pleno looks a very attractive tree but I would also like a
good display of red berries in the autumn. Does this variety produce red
berries? If not could someone recommend the best variety which will

produce
flowers in the spring and red berries in the autumn.

Many thanks.

Les

Hello Les,
I grow, and can *highly* recommend Crataegus Prunifolia. It flowers well in
spring, berries reliably in autumn *and* has wonderful autumn leaf colour as
a bonus. It is magnificent!
Spider