Old 13-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Joanne

Default Clematis Cuttings

I've just taken some cuttings from my clematis montana. I've taken
internodal cuttings, but I'm wondering how much of the stem should be in the
soil? Should the stem be buried completely up to the leaf node?

Any other hints gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Old 14-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Joanne" wrote in message
I've just taken some cuttings from my clematis montana. I've taken
internodal cuttings, but I'm wondering how much of the stem should be in

the
soil? Should the stem be buried completely up to the leaf node?

Any other hints gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Cuttings should be between 1" and 1.5" and with the buds just clear of soil
surface.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-06-2004, 02:07 AM
Douglas

"Joanne" wrote in message
I've just taken some cuttings from my clematis montana. I've taken
internodal cuttings, but I'm wondering how much of the stem should be in

the
soil? Should the stem be buried completely up to the leaf node?

Any other hints gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

*******
Well!, - leave about half an inch sticking out, That is to say that the two
leaves will be half an inch or so above the compost. That's the Nursery
method. but they are in business to make a Iiving but you have plenty of
money,!. (:^) So you can play about a bit and have fun. So try a few
cuttings two nodes long (four leaves but snip off the two bottom ones,
taking care not to damage the 2 little tiny shoots sitting inside the part
where the leaf meets the stem.) sometimes they sprout even if covered.
Stick the whole of the double length cutting in up to near the top node (at
a slope if necessary). You can if you wish use rooting powder/fluid and some
people split the bottom upwards , though you will/may. perhaps find that
buds start growing on the top of the bottom stick, and roots sometimes
surprise you and start popping out just anywhere along the skin/peel which
is in the compost.
Very gentle heat underneath does help and if you have raised greenhouse beds
you can bury the pots, - if that is what you are using, - up to the pot rim.
The beauty of greenhouse raised beds about two feet six with the glass
frames and the whole greenhouse sitting on top is twofold. First, it makes
operating the greenhouse so easy and your back aches much less, but the
best advantage is that the whole of the column of compost and bottom rubble
heats up during the day and holds the heat way into the night. That heat
stays around the roots at night for some time and what leaks upwards into
the
inside of the greenhouse protects the stalk and leaves and fruit from night
cold.
Get stuck-in!, - greenhouses are good therapy far all. They are an
interesting retreat and the warmth calms the nerves and the mind looks
outwards instead of inwards.
Good Luck!.
Doug.
********