Old 26-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Chris Hogg

Default Garden waste recycled as compost by local councils

In recent years, our local council (Kerrier, in west Cornwall) has
been taking garden waste at local waste recycling sites. They take it
away to a central depot where it's shredded and composted. But it's
disposed of locally, rather than being made available to the public
(spread on a nearby farmer's fields, I believe, with whom they have
some sort of arrangement). When I rang them to ask if they had any
plans to bag and sell it, they replied that they would really love to,
but new regulations from DEFRA relating to foot-and-mouth mean that
they would have to get it all regularly tested, which makes it too
expensive to justify (tested for F&M presumably, although why garden
waste should carry it is beyond me! Perhaps DEFRA are worried about
animal contamination).

I'm amazed and disappointed. What do other councils do? Is this
testing thing just an excuse, or does it really have to be done? And
if so, what's the logic?

--
Chris

Old 26-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Tumbleweed

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
[...]

my council composts garden waste and makes it available for free at the
local dump.

Seems a completely illogical excuse to me. If its being spread on farmers
fields surely theyd have to have it tested for F&M by that reasononing
(farmers....), if that was true which I bet it isnt.

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 26-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Just Molly

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
[...]

Mine sells it for £5 a bag :0(

Old 26-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Poppy

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
[...]

Ours does it for £1 a bag (covers cost of bags and a token sum I think).

On the F&M thing - surely farmers using it over vast expanses of land are
*more* likely to spread F&M if that's the worry - smacks of nonsense to me.

--Poppy

Old 26-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Franz Heymann

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
[...]

My council, North Yorkshire CC, sells such compost at a number of
sites at £2.50 per 50 litre bag. This is the first season I am trying
it, so I cannot really comment except to say that it is really
thoroughly composted with a nice friable texture. I am trying itout
as a mulch, to be gradually hoed in as the season progresses.

Franz

Old 26-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Just Molly

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
[...]

I think more ppl would buy ours if it were not so expensive :0(

Old 26-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
[...]

If that is less than 100 litres you ought to tell them they are
ripping you off.

Franz

Old 26-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
[...]

I think you should get yourlocal paper to point out prominently that
they are ripping you off in comparison with the other Councils
mentioned in urg. If the paper would be brave enough to suggest that
the householders should boycott the stuff until the price is
reasonable, they will come to theit senses quite quickly, since they
have already incurred the cost of setting up thr composting plant and
producing the compost. Could you find out if there is a neighbouring
council from which you could threaten to buy your compost?

Franz

Old 26-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

my council composts garden waste and makes it available for free

at the
local dump.

Mine sells it for £5 a bag :0(

If that is less than 100 litres you ought to tell them they are
ripping you off.

Maybe they aren't ripping anyone off; just being realistic.

£5 might reflect the actual cost of council collection, storage,
processing, labour and packaging costs of turning household waste into
compost. Councils that "give it away to the public for free", also face
production costs. There's no such thing as a free lunch, even for
plants. When councils give anything away free or at a knockdown price,
council tax payers are funding that "generosity". Read your council's
annual accounts, you might get a nasty shock to see where some of your
money was spent, or "given".

Our council (North Ayshire) uses their mainland public's composted
green waste in the gardens it manages in schools, parks, public gardens
and care homes etc.

Janet.

Old 26-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Choc-brain

"Chris Hogg" wrote
In recent years, our local council (Kerrier, in west Cornwall) has
been taking garden waste at local waste recycling sites. They take it
away to a central depot where it's shredded and composted. But it's
disposed of locally, rather than being made available to the public

I'm amazed and disappointed. What do other councils do?

My council (Macclesfield) gives you a voucher every time you take garden
waste to the tip. When you have 5 vouchers, you can exchange them for a free
(20litre??) bag of compost. The only problem with this method is that they
give you 1 voucher for any quantity of garden waste, so it's very tempting
to take garden waste to the tip in small amounts in order to get lots of
vouchers.

Choccie

Old 27-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

my council composts garden waste and makes it available for

free
at the
local dump.

Mine sells it for £5 a bag :0(

If that is less than 100 litres you ought to tell them they are
ripping you off.

Maybe they aren't ripping anyone off; just being realistic.

£5 might reflect the actual cost of council collection, storage,

We have already all paid for this in our garbage collection levy.
We also have already paid for what would otherwise have been the
labour cost of transporting it to, and manipulating it at an
incinerator or a landfill site.

processing, labour and packaging costs of turning household waste

into
compost. Councils that "give it away to the public for free", also

face
production costs.

Of course. But don't you find it an odd coincidence that they sell
for prices in the same ballpark as normal peat-based potting composts?
I call that charging what the market will bear.
Donkeys years ago, in the sixties, the local council produced compost
from household waste at Leatherhead at a price which was (quoting
from memory) about a quarter of the price of commercial composts.
They only stopped after a few years because of fears of spreading
disease and glass slivers, since they composted all household waste,
and not only garden waste. (Damn good stuff it was,too.)

Old 27-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Franz Heymann

"Choc-brain" wrote in message
"Chris Hogg" wrote
[...]

Running a car costs a non negligible fraction of a £ per mile

Franz

Old 27-06-2004, 10:06 AM
gary davis

On 6/26/04 1:34 PM, in article ,
"Choc-brain" wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote
In recent years, our local council (Kerrier, in west Cornwall) has
been taking garden waste at local waste recycling sites. They take it
away to a central depot where it's shredded and composted. But it's
disposed of locally, rather than being made available to the public

I'm amazed and disappointed. What do other councils do?

My council (Macclesfield) gives you a voucher every time you take garden
waste to the tip. When you have 5 vouchers, you can exchange them for a free
(20litre??) bag of compost. The only problem with this method is that they
give you 1 voucher for any quantity of garden waste, so it's very tempting
to take garden waste to the tip in small amounts in order to get lots of
vouchers.

Choccie

Interesting! It would seem that your council needs to pay more attention to
detail. Do they get paid for being on council??
My thinking is that if you should bring more then you get more vouchers. But
then there may be problems at their end that you need to find out about.
Otherwise just follow the rules...or you could just compost it yourself.
It's not that difficult and you could add 'other' stuff that you wouldn't
send to the tip and increases the power of your compost for plants. Your
plants will love you.
Gary

Old 28-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:56:33 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

my council composts garden waste and makes it available for free
at the local dump.

Mine sells it for £5 a bag :0(

If that is less than 100 litres you ought to tell them they are
ripping you off.

Maybe they aren't ripping anyone off; just being realistic.

£5 might reflect the actual cost of council collection, storage,
processing, labour and packaging costs of turning household waste into
compost.

This overlooks one of the important reasons municipalities have
set up garden waste composting: to keep such waste out of
landfills (or wherever the garbage goes). So in calculating
"actual cost", a discount is required to reflect this benefit.

--
Rodger Whitlock, Victoria, BC, Canada

"Listening to the [Opus Clavicembalisticum] is much like
Mussolini is alleged to have reported about governing
the Italians: it's not impossible, just POINTLESS."

----Jeffrey Friedman, 2004/06/24
Old 28-06-2004, 09:07 PM

We have already all paid for this in our garbage collection levy.
We also have already paid for what would otherwise have been the
labour cost of transporting it to, and manipulating it at an
incinerator or a landfill site.

We have garden waste bins now. They are provided by the council
(Oldham) and collected every fortnight. No idea what they do with it
but the idea was to separate it from the waste in the black bins. So..
we now have plastic bags for paper, green bins, black bins and a black
box for plastic and tins.
Diana