Old 30-05-2010, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Free compost (from recycled stuff)

http://www.donarbon.com/compost-collection

Impressive. Useful if you're in Cambridgeshire.

Ours (Oldham) takes it away and it's never seen again. I asked the
council what they did with ours and they have no plans to make it
available to the public.

What does your local council do with garden and food waste?

--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 30-05-2010, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mogga
writes
http://www.donarbon.com/compost-collection

Impressive. Useful if you're in Cambridgeshire.

Ours (Oldham) takes it away and it's never seen again. I asked the
council what they did with ours and they have no plans to make it
available to the public.

What does your local council do with garden and food waste?

Council has a contract with local company to remove it compost it, bag
it and pass it on to garden centres.

Who pays whom for what I don't know.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 30-05-2010, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote ...
http://www.donarbon.com/compost-collection

Impressive. Useful if you're in Cambridgeshire.

Ours (Oldham) takes it away and it's never seen again. I asked the
council what they did with ours and they have no plans to make it
available to the public.

What does your local council do with garden and food waste?

There used to be a commercial composting site right opposite our "dump" and
very near our allotment but it closed down a few years back unfortunately,
and I have no idea what happens to the green waste now.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 31-05-2010, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 31 May 2010 03:35:55 +0100, Anne Welsh Jackson
wrote:

mogga wrote:

http://www.donarbon.com/compost-collection

Impressive. Useful if you're in Cambridgeshire.

Ours (Oldham) takes it away and it's never seen again. I asked the
council what they did with ours and they have no plans to make it
available to the public.

What does your local council do with garden and food waste?

Our Council has the waste composted by someone somewhere,
(never thought to enquire) and every week or so there's a huge
lorryload delivered to "the tip" and gardeners who are quick off the
mark can help themselves to three black bags full. It's normally
delivered on a Thursday or Friday and is all gone by the Sunday.

What council is that?
Old 31-05-2010, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
mogga wrote:

http://www.donarbon.com/compost-collection

Impressive. Useful if you're in Cambridgeshire.

Ours (Oldham) takes it away and it's never seen again. I asked the
council what they did with ours and they have no plans to make it
available to the public.

What does your local council do with garden and food waste?

Our Council has the waste composted by someone somewhere,
(never thought to enquire) and every week or so there's a huge
lorryload delivered to "the tip" and gardeners who are quick off the
mark can help themselves to three black bags full. It's normally
delivered on a Thursday or Friday and is all gone by the Sunday.

Slough council take them to a local charity garden centre where anyone can
collect them free.

Alan

--
AnneJ

Old 31-05-2010, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
http://www.donarbon.com/compost-collection

Impressive. Useful if you're in Cambridgeshire.

Ours (Oldham) takes it away and it's never seen again. I asked the
council what they did with ours and they have no plans to make it
available to the public.

What does your local council do with garden and food waste?

--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Swansea City Council is well up sto speed on re-cyling stuff.

We have a huge Civil Amenities Centre (Dump) where all the composted waste
is there for us to take. There isn't a limit to the amount we can take, but
if you chose your time carefully you can help youself in relative hassle
free comfort. It is a very popular place though.
One thing you have to put up with is some shredded re-cycling bags mixed in
with the compost, it does rake out quite well when spread.

Bill

Old 01-06-2010, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
http://www.donarbon.com/compost-collection

Impressive. Useful if you're in Cambridgeshire.

Ours (Oldham) takes it away and it's never seen again. I asked the
council what they did with ours and they have no plans to make it
available to the public.

What does your local council do with garden and food waste?

Our local council charge us £26/year for a large brown wheelie bin for
garden waste which they empty fortnightly during the gardening season, make
compost with it and then offer it back to us for sale at, forget exactly,
but £3 a bag comes to mind.
There's no food recycling service available atm, but they will sell you a
dalek-type plastic thingie that allows it to leach back into the soil
somehow.
I don't have one of these as I have almost no food waste. I don't cook
anything I don't like so I eat it all ;-)
Veg peelings are polished off by my hens, (I cook potato peel) anything
unsuitable like onion skins & citrus peel go on my compost heap.
Meat fat my cat scoffs down. Bacon rind chopped finely and fed to the
birds. Almost a self-sustaining system.
Tina

Old 02-06-2010, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JMS JMS is offline

On Sun, 30 May 2010 14:41:30 +0100, mogga
wrote:

http://www.donarbon.com/compost-collection

Impressive. Useful if you're in Cambridgeshire.

Ours (Oldham) takes it away and it's never seen again. I asked the
council what they did with ours and they have no plans to make it
available to the public.

What does your local council do with garden and food waste?

But what if someone has put garden waste that has had weedkiller all
over it in the compost