Old 28-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Joe

Default Ring-Necked Parakeets

I was wondering what seeds might attract ring-necked parakeets to the
garden. Has anyone in SW London observed them in the garden?

Cheers
--
Joe Farrugia, London

Old 28-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Bob Hobden

"Joe" wrote in message ...
I was wondering what seeds might attract ring-necked parakeets to the
garden. Has anyone in SW London observed them in the garden?

Get a lot around here but they are always flying over often in large flocks
of over 30+, the nearest I've seen to landing locally is in a very large
Conker tree nearby. Probably to nip off all the young shoots, as they do.

I believe some gardens in Wraysbury do get visited daily, but that appears
to be where it all started.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 28-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Emrys Davies

'Joe',

Lots of information he

http://www.passionflow.co.uk/beaks.htm

http://www.prettybirds.net/Indianringneck.htm

http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculawor.../P-krameri.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

. ..

Old 28-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Just Molly

"Joe" wrote in message
. ..
I was wondering what seeds might attract ring-necked parakeets to the
garden. Has anyone in SW London observed them in the garden?

Cheers

If you are talking bird tables, go and buy a bag of 'aviary mix' from a pet
shop. Put a few bits of fruit like apples etc and keep your fingers crossed.

Old 28-06-2004, 07:11 PM
Graham Dixon

We're not lucky enough to have them up north but when I lived in Saudi
Arabia flocks of them used to descend onto the dead seedheads on sunflowers

Graham

. ..

Old 29-06-2004, 09:03 AM
BAC

"Graham Dixon" wrote in message
We're not lucky enough to have them up north but when I lived in Saudi
Arabia flocks of them used to descend onto the dead seedheads on

sunflowers

They are spreading, apparently. Some people would give you an argument as to
whether you would be 'lucky' to have them, however ...

Old 29-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Bob Hobden

"BAC" wrote

They are spreading, apparently. Some people would give you an argument as

whether you would be 'lucky' to have them, however ...

Quite.
Pretty bird, nasty noise, dreadful damage to trees especially the young buds
and new growth, they seem to do it for fun. Parked under a Conker Tree in
the spring and when I came back the car was covered in the young shoots with
more raining down to the constant squawks.

Old 29-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Malcolm

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"BAC" wrote

They are spreading, apparently. Some people would give you an argument as

whether you would be 'lucky' to have them, however ...

Quite.
Pretty bird, nasty noise, dreadful damage to trees especially the young buds
and new growth, they seem to do it for fun. Parked under a Conker Tree in
the spring and when I came back the car was covered in the young shoots with
more raining down to the constant squawks.

They also have a delightful habit of taking a bite out of an apple, then
moving on the next apple for another bite, and so on and so on.....:-((

--
Malcolm