Old 19-07-2003, 09:52 AM
bnd777

Default Fairy Ring .....Help !!!!! please

Seem to have a Fairy ring on my lawn
Large horseshoe shape of lawn that no matter what I do the grass dies
it does get clutches small brown roundheaded toadstools on it from time to
time but is not heavily infested
Have dug out all the turf and soil to 12 inches and replaced with fresh soil
and turf this spring and it looked fine but now its all dead again
same thing for last few years
Have watered with Armillotox
Have checked for chafer grubs

IDEAS ANYONE

Old 19-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Kate Morgan

Seem to have a Fairy ring on my lawn

lucky you, stand in the middle and wish :-)

kate
Old 19-07-2003, 10:13 AM
martin

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:59:08 +0100, Kate Morgan
wrote:

Seem to have a Fairy ring on my lawn

Is there an old concrete path just below the surface of your lawn or
just a pot of gold at the end of your rainbow?

lucky you, stand in the middle and wish :-)

LOL!

If you have a Nokia phone You could try changing the fairy ring to the
EE theme.........

6 8 7 1 # *
2 3 9 4 #
2 9 0 2 8 8 1 #
7 * * 6 P&H6 9
3 8 P&H3 P&H6
3 * 6 9 * * 7 6 8
7 1 # * 2
3 9 4 # 2 9 0
2 8 8 1 # 7 * *
6 P&H6 9 3 8
P&H1 # * P&H2 3
1 # 9 7 * * 6

Tempo = 125

P&H means to press and hold the key down until a . appears
--
martin
Old 19-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Mary Fisher

"bnd777" wrote in message
Seem to have a Fairy ring on my lawn
Large horseshoe shape of lawn that no matter what I do the grass dies
it does get clutches small brown roundheaded toadstools on it from time to
time but is not heavily infested

In my opinion this is not a fairy ring. Fairy rings are a brighter green
than the surrounding grass.

Mary

Old 19-07-2003, 10:27 AM
martin

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 10:12:24 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"bnd777" wrote in message
Seem to have a Fairy ring on my lawn
Large horseshoe shape of lawn that no matter what I do the grass dies
it does get clutches small brown roundheaded toadstools on it from time to
time but is not heavily infested

In my opinion this is not a fairy ring. Fairy rings are a brighter green
than the surrounding grass.

I think there is concrete under the lawn.
--
martin

Old 19-07-2003, 11:29 AM
Stephen Howard

wrote:

"bnd777" wrote in message
Seem to have a Fairy ring on my lawn
Large horseshoe shape of lawn that no matter what I do the grass dies
it does get clutches small brown roundheaded toadstools on it from time to
time but is not heavily infested

In my opinion this is not a fairy ring. Fairy rings are a brighter green
than the surrounding grass.

That's usually the case, and as far as I can see on my 'lawn' the
rings have no serious effect. However, we're talking the sort of grass
that can trip you up and steal your wallet... not the namby-pamby
stuff that dies back when ( heavens! ) someone steps on it.

I would suggest that the die back is indicative of another problem,
and the fungus has simply moved in to take advantage of the conditions
- which is what fungus does. Being at the scene of the crime it tends
to get labeled a suspect.

You have to admire the tenacity of the fungus - you've nuked it with
Armillotox and still it comes back to taunt you!

The real test would be to see if the ring moves - a genuine fungal
ring will grow each year as the spores spread out radially.

Personally, I blame the aliens.. has anyone noticed the weather
lately.. eh eh?? 'Nuff said!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 19-07-2003, 11:34 AM
martin

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:27:02 +0100, Stephen Howard
wrote:

Personally, I blame the aliens.. has anyone noticed the weather
lately.. eh eh?? 'Nuff said!

The invasion by giant spiders?

Recorded by the Dutch Met Office web cam

http://www.knmi.nl/webcam/Archief/we...0104020940.jpg
http://www.knmi.nl/webcam/Archief/we...0718045318.jpg
http://www.knmi.nl/webcam/Archief/we...0719121056.jpg

and the dreaded seagull crap?
http://www.knmi.nl/webcam/Archief/we...0509171524.jpg

http://www.knmi.nl/webcam/
--
martin
Old 19-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Personally, I blame the aliens.. has anyone noticed the weather
lately.. eh eh?? 'Nuff said!

The invasion by giant spiders?

A Spider Ring?

Hmm.

Mary

Old 19-07-2003, 02:02 PM
David Hill

Seem to have a Fairy ring on my lawn

lucky you, stand in the middle and wish :-)

But don't go to sleep in it........

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 19-07-2003, 04:23 PM
bnd777

I would be tempted to blame aliens, spiders,concrete in fact anything if I
could find out what
having dug down 12 inches and found nothing and since it was a plant nursery
before our house was built 28 yrs ago and there certainly was no concrete
when the earth moving and landscape people did the patio i am beginning to
think that its something leaching up into the top soil although its mighty
odd that its only happened in last 4 or 5 years
Anyone know any experts on this kind of thing I could get to do some tests

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Old 19-07-2003, 04:32 PM
martin

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:59:34 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

Seem to have a Fairy ring on my lawn

lucky you, stand in the middle and wish :-)

But don't go to sleep in it........

............. because the little folk will get you if the spiders from
space don't.
--
martin
Old 19-07-2003, 04:33 PM
martin

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:12:34 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

I would be tempted to blame aliens, spiders,concrete in fact anything if I
could find out what
having dug down 12 inches and found nothing and since it was a plant nursery
before our house was built 28 yrs ago and there certainly was no concrete
when the earth moving and landscape people did the patio i am beginning to
think that its something leaching up into the top soil although its mighty
odd that its only happened in last 4 or 5 years
Anyone know any experts on this kind of thing I could get to do some tests

Have you tried putting your post code into www.undermystreet.co.uk if
it still works?
--
martin
Old 19-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "bnd777" contains these words:

Seem to have a Fairy ring on my lawn
Large horseshoe shape of lawn that no matter what I do the grass dies
it does get clutches small brown roundheaded toadstools on it from time to
time but is not heavily infested
Have dug out all the turf and soil to 12 inches and replaced with fresh soil
and turf this spring and it looked fine but now its all dead again
same thing for last few years
Have watered with Armillotox
Have checked for chafer grubs

Sounds like Merasmius oreades. Don't eat them raw, but they are
excellent cooked in stews, or fried. They dry brilliantly, and on
rehydration are indistinguishable from fresh - apart from the absence of
the bitter almond smell.

Just make sure they *ARE* Merasmius oreades, and keep the area well
watered and thank The Lord for the natural harvest.

If you *MUST* get rid of them, remove about six inches of soil from
outside the ring, as well as the green ring. You *MAY* be lucky, but I
doubt it. Forget about the dead stuff behind - this will soon grow over.
The mycelium grows outwards, and as the old mycelium dies, it nourishes
the grass, causing the darker colour.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 19-07-2003, 09:13 PM
bnd777

certainly the outer edges of the ring are green not dark though but the
inside of the ring is dead
What beats me is after i had removed 12 inches deep of turf and soil in the
spring and replaced with new it was growing beautifully ,,,,,,,,then just
suddenly died
in any other position I could probably just dig it up and make a flower bed
but here i simply cant it has to be lawn

Old 19-07-2003, 09:13 PM
martin

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:32:13 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

certainly the outer edges of the ring are green not dark though but the
inside of the ring is dead
What beats me is after i had removed 12 inches deep of turf and soil in the
spring and replaced with new it was growing beautifully ,,,,,,,,then just
suddenly died
in any other position I could probably just dig it up and make a flower bed
but here i simply cant it has to be lawn

Wimbledon grounds person or what?
--
martin

Fairy Ring simonrepro Lawns 9 25-02-2011 06:22 PM
FAIRY RING FUNGI or MUSHROOM Japhy Gardening 3 10-06-2006 12:37 AM
Mushrooms, fairy ring, dead(ish) grass. David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 4 22-05-2004 03:05 AM
More fairy ring identification please Kay Easton United Kingdom 5 16-10-2003 10:02 PM
Ring on my lawn sti3402 Gardening 6 13-05-2003 04:32 PM