Old 29-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Joanne

Default Bearded Iris

Last year I bought a bearded iris, Iris pallida Variegata. It hasn't
flowered. It's planted shallowly in full sun. Any ideas on how to get it
to flower next year?

Thanks.

Old 29-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Bob Hobden

"Joanne" wrote ...
Last year I bought a bearded iris, Iris pallida Variegata. It hasn't
flowered. It's planted shallowly in full sun. Any ideas on how to get it
to flower next year?

But is the rhizome in full sun or is it shaded by other plants? It needs a
good summers baking to produce flowers the next season and no shade
whatsoever.
However, some iris can be a bit slow to get going, we have a TBI that we
have had for over 4 years and is still growing on our allotments but no
flowers yet, perhaps next year.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 30-06-2004, 12:09 AM
nambucca

"Joanne" wrote in message
newshlEc.66$tH6.29@newsfe5-win...
Last year I bought a bearded iris, Iris pallida Variegata. It hasn't
flowered. It's planted shallowly in full sun. Any ideas on how to get it
to flower next year?

Thanks.

Sprinkle Epsom salts around it .......they suffer Magnesium deficiency and

wont flower until its replenished

Old 30-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Dwayne

Good morning Joanne,

Most iris that I have planted have never bloomed until the second year,
sometimes even longer. I have them planted in full sun, partial sun, and
have had them in full shade before. It doesn't seem to make any difference
on how soon they bloom for the first time, but if they weren't at least in
partial sun, they wouldn't do as well. I even lost one very beautiful one
that I had planted in the shade and left it alone for 4 or 5 years with out
thinning it out. I don't know if it was because it wasn't getting any sun
or because it grew too big and crowded itself out.

I now have about 16 of them on the North side of my house that do very well.
They get sun in early morning and late afternoon. I would prefer to have
them in full sun, but my yard is not big enough to have everything in "full
sun".

Dwayne